Review by youneedalife

"Mass Effect 2: A Game of Mass Improvements"

Two years have gone by since Bioware has graced us with the RPG Mass Effect, an interesting mix of a RPG with shooter elements, with a great plot and awe inspiring graphics. And in those two years, mass improvements (pun intended) have been made on nearly every aspect of the original, with major changes in combat and even BETTER visuals.

The graphics have definitely received an upgrade in comparison to the first, with high res textures, and improvements in the shadows and lighting effects. Even better, the aggravating texture loading that caused the first game to look rough has been completely removed, allowing for much more immersion.

Without spoiling anything, the story of Mass Effect 2 definitely had me sitting on the edge of my seat. With the choice to import a character from the original, you'll be able to feel the consequences of your actions, and feel a connection to the previous game. You'll be seeing many faces, both old and new, on your journey to stop the Collectors, and the premise of a suicide mission makes the story feel much more action orientated. Character interactions are just as good as the first, with each character having a fleshed out background and story.

Combat in the first Mass Effect was rather lackluster, and has been significantly revamped to the point of being enjoyable. Overheating has been replaced by reloading heat sinks, and now powers share a global cooldown, making the player think more about what power is required for the situation, instead of just spamming all day. Gone is the cluttered inventory system of the first, with your weapons and armor coming from a research station rather than crates! Bioware has also included a universal weapon type for all classes known as "Heavy Weapons" which are very satisfying to use against enemies. The conversation system for the most part, is the same, with the addition of pressing either the left or right triggers to make a paragon or renegade action, making conversations more than just an exchange of words. My only gripe with the gameplay is the rather repetitive task of mining resources, which gets duller as you replay the game several times through, but it is only a minor issue.

Playtime/Replayability: 10/10
With six different classes to choose from, each with a unique playstyle, your going to spending A LOT of time replaying this game. It took me a good 40 hours to finish the game completely one time through, and I plan on replaying as the other classes as well, making this game worth every penny.

Final Recommendation:
This game is definitely worth a buy, if you were a fan of the first then grab this game as soon as possible, it only improves on everything the first did. And for those who are new to Mass Effect, go grab the original and join the party!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/11/10

Game Release: Mass Effect 2 (US, 01/26/10)