Review by nickgelstharp

"Modern day Masterpiece. Spoiler free review"

Christmas is a strange time of year. A year when every gamer will gain a new addition to their library. This year the additions to my library were the Kinect which cost over £100. Assassins Creed 2 which cost £40 and Mass effect 2 which cost an impressive £6.99. The Kinect has no hard-core games and as such was almost immediately discarded as soon as the peripheral relatives left. Assassin's creed 2 brotherhood was next on my list. After 3 days and 10 hours of gaming, I exited the animus and was not allowed to return. The game froze and that really, really !*"&$!£) me off. Therefore, I reluctantly started playing Mass Effect 2. For me Mass effect 2 was a never a wanted game. I played ME1 but never got through and after the dreaded Red ring of death I lost my save, so I never really thought that I would understand what was going on. After playing the opening scene, I quickly realised that none of it mattered. People liked you if you were nice and hated you if you were evil, believe me when I say that this game stand well on its own and if you are reading this because you are thinking about buying the game but haven't played the first one, do it. You will not regret it.

The action strikes immediately and the story grips you from the moment you start up the game. People in the world off Mass Effect 2 genuinely want to hear what you have to say, and your answers feel like they have real gravity. The story is straight from a Hollywood sci-fi blockbuster but this time your £10 can be expected to last 20 - 30 hours. You can blast through the game in half the time but you really would not be doing it justice. Every planet is unique, every mission has a purpose and there are no go here and get me a bar of soap style missions anywhere to be seen. As you build your team in the typical RPG fashion, the story just gets deeper and deeper. For those of you not interested in the story the action is enjoyable and plentiful. The graphics are great and the load times are phenomenal when you think of the amount of information that is generated. I have not enjoyed a game as much as this one in a very long time. Do yourself a favour though, keep more than one save space if you do not want to play through multiple times and do not read any more articles about it. Spoilers will make the game completely devoid of purpose. This game was definitely the Game of the year for 2010 and is so far my GOTY for 2011.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/18/11

Game Release: Mass Effect 2 (EU, 01/29/10)