Review by TSScoots

"Good Times With Grunts"

Lord of the Rings: Conquest gives you what you want... the sickening joy of killing hobbits and burning down their little homes (Try setting a hobbit on fire...)

They just make you earn it by playing 13 other levels.

Don't get me wrong, I loved killing Orcs on the ramp of Helm's Deep, taking down trolls like they were mutant super babies and summoning the Balrog... but honestly, I got this game for two reasons: fantastic multiplayer matches and murdering innocent little hairy midgets.

Game Concept - "The world is full enough of hurts and mischances without wars to multiply them." - LOTR: The Return of the King.. Indeed, the world is full of hurts and mischances, mainly the hurt of a dagger to the back, and the mischance that you actually see the scout before he slips behind you. This game is Hell. War is Hell. This game is War. Pick a side, fight for your life, your people, or your lord, and take the lives of others through sword, daggers, arrows, and magic. Its brutal, it's chaotic, it makes no sense... and we do it none the less. Why, you might ask? ... Because it's damn good fun!

Gameplay - "Nobody tosses a dwarf." - Gimli, LOTR: the Fellowship of the Ring. The game runs stoutly, if not smoothly, no tearing or flaws along the campaign. Honestly, that's a breath of fresh air out of a lot of the crap people are publishing now a days. There are good games, there are great games, and then everything else doesn't really count as a game. During heated multiplayer matches sometimes a background item might pop in and out of existence, but it's not noticeable unless you're an archer (Otherwise you're too busy, what with those nasty little hobbits...).

Graphics - "YOU... SHALL NOT... PASS!" - Gandalf the Grey, LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring. Sometimes there are casualities in war... our dearest friend Graphics was wounded taking the last hill it seems. He still makes an effort, but he's never going to recover completely. The graphics of LOTR: Conquest look an awful lot like SW: Battlefront II, save for some better avatar detail. Armor, especially helmets, look nice, but this is not Gears of War in quality. The heroes are all nicely done, and trust me when I say the battlefeilds are not sloppy in the least. But in this day of hi-def, it simply doesn't stack up.

Multiplayer - "The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is... where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there... in peace. War will make corpses of us all." - Faramir, LOTR: The Two Towers. There is no difference between the sides you take aside from starting position and how you look. The enemy doesn't have anything you do not as a basic character. The heroes are all different, and the giants and the Oliphants are rather interesting, but in the end, it's the courage of men and the ruthlessness of orcs that wins the day. Nothing can't be taken down by one brave, or crazy, player. Skill, determination, or pure luck often determine the outcome of a match as much as numbers and tactics.

Overall - 8/10

Game Concept - 9/10
Gameplay - 9/10
Graphics - 6/10
Multiplayer - 8/10

All in all, a good game, one to pass the time and enjoy another life for a little while, a life of carnage and war. A good time indeed.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/20/09

Game Release: The Lord of the Rings: Conquest (US, 01/13/09)