Review by TBurnerx

"Not The Best Return to Middle Earth, But Still A Fun Game"

I had very high hopes for this game when I bought it but, I was slightly disapointed by the lack of some features that were promised but then cancelled. After playing through the campaign of both sides and playing a few different game modes online I can say this game is fun and offers a unique experience.

Not the best graphics for the 360 by any means but they get the job done well. The environments look great for the most part but the textures can be a little bit muddy looking. The character models are great and are good replicas from the movies.

This is the games high point, you get the amazing movie quality sounds at the menus and during gameplay.

Controls: 7/10
The controls are easy to learn but hard to master if you want to play well online, the 4 different classes all have a different control scheme that works in a unique way. Sometimes the controls can be buggy though which takes off points.

Length / Replay Value: 6/10
The game is short, both campaigns can be completed in a couple of hours and I didn't really feel compelled to play through the game again after I had beaten it once, there are certain fun levels that I have enjoyed playing through many times, but they are offset by a few very annoying levels. I would definitlely suggest renting this game first before you buy it, then if you enjoy the online and story mode buy it.

Basically for the good campaign you get the movie version and for the evil campaign a made up what if scenario, there are some sweet moments, taking down an Oliphant with Legolas or playing as the Balrog in the evil campaign are some of those.

Online: 8/10
There are many different modes like straight up team deathmatch, base capture type game mode, and capture the ring which is basically capture the flag. The modes are all fun but the lack of balance online and the fact that there are only a few games running detract from the experience. The mage class is severly overpowered and if you are playing against someone who is good with the mage they are hard to take down and get many kills.

If you are a fan of Lord of the Rings I would recommend this game, if you are not then make sure to rent the game before you buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/31/09

Game Release: The Lord of the Rings: Conquest (US, 01/13/09)