Review by Zerabp

"As Always the Tales Franchise Does Not Fail to Impress"

I wanted to write this review just to express how wonderful the experience of playing this game has been. Why there haven't been tens across the board is beyond me, as right now it is a gem in a sea of mediocrity among RPGs.

First and foremost in this game as with all Tales games is it's attention to detail in the characters and the story. You quickly grow attached to the personalities of every character with a remotely minor role. Even the villains are likable in their own way. If this game began and ended with just the story and character development it would still be a 10.

The beauty is it doesn't end there in fact, the game is a visually stunning work of art, maybe not high art like Shadow of the Colossus, or Okami, but art nonetheless. The environments and character and creature design are perfect and beautiful, and definitely help set the tone for the game. So here again we have a 10, maybe not in it's own right but certainly when added with all the other elements together.

Moving on we come to the game play which though it's nothing to new it just works and perfectly. The bosses take just enough skill to where button mashing won't work, but not to much to where it alienates less experienced gamers. Over all the battles flow seamlessly with the rest of the game with the added bonus that the vast majority of them are avoidable. When something isn't broken don't fix it and while they added a few of their own tweaks to the system they work to improve the flow of battle. So with gameplay again we have a 10.

Now we move on to the sound, I'll start by saying I'm an anime fan, and somewhat of a purist at that. So I was very disappointed at not having the Japanese language track. That said I was nothing but pleasantly surprised at the voice talent for the game. One or to character overdo it but for the most part it is spot on the the mood and flow of the game. I'd give the voice acting a 9, which should lower the score you'd think, except for the fact that comparatively it's still a 10. Which also brings us to why to what makes up for what little poor voice acting there is, the music.

The soundtrack is amazing simple when it needs to be and amazingly complex and emotive when it needs to be. The game is scored perfectly with some tracks simply there for the background to set the mood a little to tracks that blow you away and add a whole new level to the experience, which was already awe inspiring. So any foibles to be had with the voice talent are made up for and more by the soundtrack. Also as a small not all the sound effects fit perfectly into the game. So Sound 10

If you like RPGS you are selling yourself short by not playing this game. It's that simple. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/09/08

Game Release: Tales of Vesperia (US, 08/26/08)