Review by mieufire

"Tales of Vesperia Review"

Just recently played Tales of Vesperia and I must say this game is great! I have always been a big fan of the “Tales” series and this game is certainly NO disappointment. It's truly a good collection for anyone with an X-Box 360. At first I was disappointed this game was announced for the X-Box 360. I never expected a Japanese RPG to be on an American system. In fact, I never had any intentions to purchase an X-Box 360 in the first place. If I was to purchase the next gen console, I wanted to get the Playstation 3. But the announcement of Tales of Vesperia release had made me decide to get an X-Box 360 and I'm not regretting it one bit.

Graphics 9.0/10.0
The graphics are astonishing. In fact it's similar to Bandai Namco's Eternal Sonata in its beautiful colorful cutscenes. The characters move with such fluidity. The graphics are so crisp and outstanding. The anime cutscenes are excellent in quality and nicely done.

Storyline 9.0/10.0
The story may be your typical cliche Rpg, but it's interesting enough to keep you involved and interested throughout until the end. The characters are lovable with their unique well-developed personality throughout the game. There are plenty of skits to add more to character development. Best of all, these skits are voice acted unlike previous “Tales” games.

Gameplay 9.0/10.0
Like a typical “Tales” game, you see the enemies on the screen. You go up to an enemy to attack. Once you enter into battle mode, you control the player of your choice and do free battle attacks. You roam the field to attack or to dodge attacks. This game is multiplayer, so friends and family can join the fun. Playing alone? No problem, you can let the AI control the other characters for another gaming experience.

Sounds 8.5
The music is your typical Motoi Sakuraba, which means pretty much generic music that sounds like the other games he composed in. There is nothing too special with the in game music. However, the intro music “Ring a Bell” sung by Bonnie Pink is a nice addition to the game and fits in this game perfectly. Namco Bandai of America made the right decision by including this song in English instead of changing it to some orchestrated generic crap that you heard in “Tales of Symphonia” for the Gamecube and “Tales of Destiny” for the Playstation. I heard that they're going to do that for “Tales of Symphonia: Knight of the Ratatosk”. Luckily they didn't do that for this one or my given score would have been way lower. In addition, the voice acting is excellent. The voices fit each character nicely and give each character their own personality and spunk.

Overall 9.0
Definitely a must buy for anyone with an X-Box 360 and a big Rpg fan, especially “Tales” fan. This game is addictively fun and voice acting is great. Characters have well developed storylines and you will learn to love each one of them. Also, it's a great multiplayer game that you can enjoy with your friends.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/06/08

Game Release: Tales of Vesperia (US, 08/26/08)