Review by legolas0008

"Rapture is back-- And it won't disappoint."

Story: The story of Bioshock 2 takes place ten years after the first, where you play as Subject Delta, the fourth (and first successful) attempt at creating a Big Daddy, who is on a mission to find his Little Sister that he lost years ago. A new enemy in the game is the Big Sister, they are evolved Littles who travel to the surface to kidnap little girls to turn them into more Littles. The story more than matches the first, although with the first game, you had a feeling of mystery and exploration, whereas in this (at least in my experience) you have more of a feeling of danger and caring as you rescue Little Sisters, which the game really makes you have to think about instead of harvesting them (They're so sweet to you!). Tenenbaum also makes a return, this time wanting to repent for what she caused in the first, and now she wants to help you rescue the Little Sisters, and prevent more from being created. 8/10.

Gameplay: The core gameplay is much the same as the first, though there are some differences, such as the fact that you start with a big manly drill, instead of some wimpy wrench. Many big plasmids return, such as Electro Bolt, Incinerate and Telekinesis. The weapons, however, are very different. Some new ones are the Hack Tool, which lets you shoot machines to hack them while staying behind cover, and my personal favorite, the Spear Gun, which lets you shoot enemies from afar and impale them to the wall, as seen in the first game, in a few different places. Returning is the Research Camera, which behaves as it did in the first game. In my opinion, the game is a lot more fun to play than the first. In this, you can use both a weapon and a plasmid at the same time, which makes for some interesting combinations. Another reason is one of the new weapons has a “Trap” ammo type, which lets you place, essentially, trip mines, wherever you want. It's very fun, and I feel that it alone is a great improvement over the first game. The difficulty seems to be a lot greater than the first, and even on Normal you'll be given many hard times, unless you're VERY good at the game. Big Sisters are a huge challenge, and I personally find them more difficult than the Big Daddies in the first game. 10/10.

Graphics: The graphics in this game have the same eerie, dark, retro look as they did in the first, although there are many improvements, more noticeably on the PC version. The Big Sisters look excellent, as do the other character models. On a side note, the Brute Splicer is scary as hell. 9/10.

Sound/Music: The music in this game is also much like the first, with songs such as “How Much Is That Doggy in the Window” returning. I haven't been all that observant of the sound effects, but the voice acting in the game is great. There are many more voice diaries than in the first game, over a hundred total, which are all enjoyable to listen to. 9/10.

Replayability: I find that this game would be much more fun to play again than the first, as the developers have perfected the things that may have been small flaws in the first game, and they've added more new content, and you actually want to go back and collect things, unlike many games that have many things to collect. 8/10.

Overall, Bioshock 2 is a very good game, with no immediate flaws. If you enjoyed the first, then you should definitely get this one, as the core gameplay is the same, but improved, though if you didn't like the first, you're likely to not like this one, as it is much of the same. 9/10.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/09/10

Game Release: BioShock 2 (US, 02/09/10)