Review by mythical_guy

"The game that made me look at games differently."

I will just go ahead and say that Prince of Persia is not a challenging game at all. It does not have edge-of-your-couch moments. It is not mega-long. That being said, those gripes aren't really gripes at all. Prince of Persia is not Gears of War 2, or Halo 3, or a call of duty. It is a Prince of Persia the likes of which you have never seen before.

Gameplay

The gameplay in PoP makes you feel really good about your skill level. You actually have an A.I-controlled magical partner called Elika who helps you do double jumps, attacks enemies at your own command, and saves you whenever you die. Yes, whenever you die, Elika reaches out and saves you, bringing you to the last platform you were standing on. Think of it as a save-anywhere feature that teleports you to the closest save. The platforming is fluid, as the color drains out of the world when you need double jump, you can press Y to know where you need to go next, you can do run along walls, you can climb. Heck, you can even do roofruns. Literally. The combat in Prince of Persia is also very well-done, with Quicktime events, combos, and some button-mashing. It reminds me greatly of Fable 2. You can press Y for Elika's attacks, X for sword attacks, B for gauntlet attacks, and A for acrobatic attacks. That being said, you always face one enemy at a time. This is, however, not bad thing, as it makes the combat much more cinematic.The goal of the game is to go to each area, "heal it" from corruption, and then go through the whole entire area again finding light seeds to gain new powers to get to more areas. Finally, the gameplay is awesome, but I cannot help but feel that it is just a tad bit easy.

Graphics

This games graphics is, in my opinion, the best graphics this, if not the best in the next-gen lifespan. It is a cel-shaded beauty with some places utterly jaw-dropping. And just wait until you see Elika healing a land. Spectacular. Speaking of Elika, she is definitely a sight for sore eyes, too. Also, the animations are top-notch, and the roofrun almost looks easy to do, if it were possible. Prince of Persia definitely nails the visuals.

Story

The story is not really what you would call original, but it keeps the game moving along. The evil god Ahriman, sealed away in a tree. only to be unleashed again, covering the world in corruption. It all comes across as being sort of weird.

Conclusion

If you are a fan of Prince of Persia, if you like platforming, if you are looking for something as a Christmas present, if you play games in general, you should at least check this game out.
You will NOT be disappointed.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/26/08

Game Release: Prince of Persia (US, 12/02/08)