Review by Pk_Starstorm

"Short, but definitely worth the price"

Prince of Persia is the first game I played on my xbox 360 and what a great welcome it was to the land of xbox. In the game you control "prince" and wander a round a 3d world with your companion Elika. There are two parts to the game; jumping around the world and the fights that take place at the end of every level (and a few between levels). The fun is in its simplicity so with that I'll get started with the review.

Part of what makes this game so amazing is how great the graphics are. They're not realistic like a lot of xbox 360 graphics but they're partly cell-shaded which gives the whole game a great look. Every character you meet has amazing detail and just looking at the lands really gives you a feeling of what the stage is going to be like. This is where most people say this game really shines, and I would have to agree.

The sound is an area which, while in my opinion is important I never really notice. When I realized that there was music playing in the game I thought to myself "wow this really fits the mood", but there was nothing outstanding about the score. Basically when you hear the music its really good, but usually you're so absorbed in the game you don't even notice.

A lot of people complain that the story in this game isn't good enough and that the way its delivered is dumb. I completely disagree. The way the story is told is by talking to Elika. You don't have to talk to her if you don't care about the story, but you lose nothing by doing it. I got the achievement for beating it in 12 hours or less and I listened to every single thing she had to say. The story is very compelling and the ending is one of the best I've ever seen, You will never see it coming I guarantee you.

When I was writing this I was thinking about what I thought about when I played the game. I realized that while frustrating at times, you can't die so the worst thing that happens is you have to take an extra 10 minutes to complete something. The main fun in this game for me came from the jumps and wall runs and various ways to get around. These are often quite hard but if you mess up Elika saves you with magic. If you're one of the many people who are looking for an immense challenge like the old PoP games you might be let down. On the other hand, if you dislike it when the flow of your game is interrupted, as you die and have to start over then this is the game for you.

Part 2: Combat
The combat in this game is really trying to make it so you're not just button-mashing. You have to use combos or else the bosses will cream you. You can't die but every time you lose all your health you get it all back and the boss just gains some of its back. The boss battles are fun and pretty creative and you fight one at the end of each level. Its hard enough that you might be a bit frustrated at first but then once you just keep going and get the hang of it, its easy and you can get it done without throwing your controller at the TV.

Conclusion:
This game is one that I would most definitely recommend to anyone young or old. There are very few disappointments (I would've liked to see multiplayer) and there are a lot of amazing parts. As I said earlier the game is worth playing just to see the ending which is really good in my opinion though you might hate it. The story is interesting, the characters are interesting and above all the dialect is actually quite funny at points. Its pretty short so you can easily beat it in 15 hours or less. Maybe if you go through games fast its just worth a rent. If you want to take your time and enjoy it (maybe purchase the DLC epilogue) then its definitely worth a buy.

Final Score: 8/10
Note: If I was just judging how good these categories above were, I'd give it a 9, but because of the lack of replayability and multiplayer I'll have to give it a 8. Its short but well worth

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/09

Game Release: Prince of Persia (US, 12/02/08)