Review by Galactus21

"The prince has fallen..."

When I first played Sands of Time on the Xbox, I loved the game. I didn't enjoy the sequels quite as much, but decided to give this game a shot because of its artistic direction. While the game has certain bright spots, the game for the most part doesn't quite provide enough fundamental game play to back up that artistic style. The art direction is beautiful, the combat system is fairly solid, and the platforming isn't half bad, but the game doesn't do well in mixing all these mechanics together.

The game starts with the prince losing his donkey and meeting a princess named Elika. Soon after, you find out that the land is being consumed by darkness. Ahriman has consumed this land with darkness. The game forces you to go from point to point to heal the land. The story for the most part isn't very entertainment. Throughout the entire time, it felt very generic to me.

Going back to my early statement of the game not mixing everything together, the game simply didn't feel cohesive. While the platforming was solid, there was too much of it. This felt extremely repetitive as I was jumping from pole to pole, or wall running from place to place. If the developers had introduced more enemies throughout the areas to breakup some of these long chains of platforming, I believe the tediousness wouldn't have been as much. The combat mechanics while solid as well simply doesn't have enough enemies for one to really delve into the complexity of the system.

The graphics was quite beautiful. I felt the art direction fit this type of game quite well. The environments were colorful and the character models were nicely detailed. Some of the combat animation was lacking at times, but other areas made up for it. The voice acting and music for the most part was quite good. The voice acting of the prince and Elika were quite good. The music provided a nice tone to the game throughout.

The game isn't too short, but I thought it dragged on. This was due to the game's lack of cohesion. There simply wasn't enough action. There weren't enough enemies to breakup the plethora of platforming. Furthermore, the game's idea of one on one battles really limited the combat system (the system could have really shine if there were multiple enemies).

All in all, Prince of Persia isn't a bad game. The lack of cohesion is what really prevented this game from being a good one. On its own merits, it still pales in comparison to the first Prince of Persia game on the Xbox. If there was a bit more work behind this, I could see this being a solid title. With that said, a rental should suffice.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 02/03/10

Game Release: Prince of Persia (US, 12/02/08)