Review by mustangx218

"Not as fun as Fight Night Round 3 and not worth buying, will get bored fast"

Fight Night's total punch control is a complete mess. My review is going to be about the Legacy Mode since that is the only real single player mode there is.

Counter Punches: It has become extremely hard to do counter punching in this game compared to Fight Night Round 3. Before, you can time your parry, but I can't seem to get it. And not to mention, Counter Punches are overpowered. I was fighting with my character against James Toney in Legacy mode. I threw 150+ hooks to the right side of his face and his health was higher than mine, plus he knocked me out in like 2 punches --- 1 counter punch and another one following that. Also my character's strength was way higher than James Toney's so for him to take all that damage and knock me out, I cannot believe it. One of the things I liked about Fight Night 3 was just because you can counter punch so easily, but here it's hard as heck.

Controls: Total Punch Control is a mess. It makes doing the legacy training modes really hard. Not to mention that the difficulty of those training mini-games. For throwing combos, I'm pretty sure that I follow the orders exactly, but it isn't doing what I'm telling it to. I've never had a problem getting a huge multiplier or lots of points when throwing combos on the dummy in Fight Night round 3. But in this one, I can't even get higher than "BUM" level of points and thus my character gets minimal skillups.

Training mini games: Hard as heck to get champion level. Sometimes I'd get it, sometimes I wouldn't, but I'd save way more time and frustration just autotraining it. The training got a lot harder. I wish they would just skip it entirely since all I really want to do is smash someone's face in.

Music: I really like the music. Much better than before.

I would much prefer the button mashing since I don't even play online. And I can't believe that EA said they'd make a DLC and charge us money for something that was free the previous game. That makes no sense at all.

I don't think I'd buy another Fight Night after this. I had the first three and now the fourth one, but the game has changed too much to enjoy. It's kind of like when GTA IV made their driving physics too realistic and the fun was loss in the realism.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/12

Game Release: Fight Night Round 4 (US, 06/23/09)