Review by wetwillies

""It's just right size...uh...for me that is.""

I had high hopes for “Quantum Of Solace” the minute I saw it. To me, any game involving James Bond is usually a lot of fun. This is because there is nothing cooler than playing as 007 himself. This game brings the thrills seen in both “Casino Royale” and “Quantum of Solace” and is very enjoyable.

Gameplay (9/10)

Single Player (10/10)
The campaign of this game is where you feel like you're Bond. The game plays a lot like a mixture of “Gears Of War” and “Call Of Duty 4.” “Call Of Duty” provides the basis of the game mechanics. Crouching, aiming down the sight, sprinting...it's all here. But the cover system is where it is all at. Like “Gears Of War,” you control anything that has to do with cover with the A button. You are able to dash into cover; move between two different walls/objects that you use as cover; and corner around the objects as if you were sidling across a wall. While in cover, you can blindfire your gun, or pop out of cover and fire. If you have played “Gears Of War” you should pretty much know what you're doing.

Often, the game will want you to hack a lock in order to get to your next objective. You do this through a little Simon Says like mini-game. Also, the game encourages stealth. You are able to disable cameras and fire silenced weapons to not get caught. Also, you can execute a takedown. After pressing in the right stick, a small QTE event will occur. After pressing the button required, Bond kills a goon without alerting anyone.

Overall, the campaign is very exciting and fun. The only problem is it is slightly shorter than I would have liked.

Multiplayer (8/10)
I thought this game was going to be incredibly fun in terms of multiplayer. I hoped it would be a good combination of both the classic “Goldeneye 007” and the soon to be classic “Call Of Duty 4.” For the most part, it delivers. Besides your classic Team Deathmatch and Free For All modes, you have all new Bond related game types. These are Bond Evasion and Bond Versus.

In Bond Evasion you have two teams – the Organization and MI-6. One person on the MI-6 team is Bond. Bond has to make it to a certain point to escape. The Organization tries to stop MI-6 from getting Bond to the escape point. This mode is very fun and exciting, although too often it is too easy to escape as Bond.

In Bond Versus, it is everyone against Bond. Bond has two options. He can either eliminate all of the enemy players or defuse two of three bombs located around the level. In order to make it less one sided, Bond has two lives instead of one. This mode is challenging and very exciting.

Treyarch also brought back the classic Golden Gun mode. In the Golden Gun mode, everyone races to get the weapon of the same name. The Golden Gun looks like a revolver, but it shoots like a rocket launcher. It is so powerful that if you accidentally shoot a wall you will probably blow yourself up. This mode is classic. It is explosive and exciting.

“Quantum Of Solace's” multiplayer excels because of game modes that can't be found elsewhere. The regular deathmatches are just not as fun.

Story (6/10)

This game follows the stories of both “Quantum Of Solace” and “Casino Royale.” These movies, especially “Casino Royale,” have great stories. The problem is that the game tells them horribly. It starts out with the ending of “Casino Royale.” Then you play through most of “Quantum Of Solace.” Then, somewhere around the end of that, you randomly start playing the beginning of “Casino Royale.” The game doesn't make this clear, so anyone not familiar with the movies will have no clue what's going on. Then, the game ends with the final scene from “Quantum Of Solace.” As you can hopefully see, the game does a horrible job of telling the movie's stories. It is almost liked they wrote down every level of the game on a piece of paper and threw them in a hat. Then they pulled out all the papers and told the storyline in the order the papers came out of the hat.

Graphics (7/10)

The graphics are a mixed bag for the most part. The campaign looks pretty good. The environments and lighting are all nice. Plus, Treyarch did a really good job with shadowing. You can see where enemies are without peeking around the corner. All you have to do is look at their shadows. The cutscenes are very annoying. They looked stupid. Plus they gave me a headache just watching them. I was hoping those would not show up in the movie but sadly, they did. Bond's character model looks really good. Some of the other likenesses aren't so nice. Basically, the story mode shines.

The multiplayer...eh...not so much. The character models look disgusting. You play as two generic players. You either play as a nerdy looking MI-6 agent with a dumb bicycle helmet, or an Organization member that looks like a horribly disguised cat burglar. The maps don't look much better either. While some have interesting design, they are hard on the eyes. The colors are bland and everything seems very dark. Overall, the graphics are half and half.

Sound (5/10)

In a shooter, sound is important. In a movie-based game, sound is important. Sadly, the sound in this game is not very good at all. The voice acting is lame. It seems like none of the actors wanted to be there. The guns are OK sounding and the explosions are just alright. Also, the sound is pretty screwed up anyways. In-game conversations between Bond and Tanner, or Bond and M were messed up. I could only hear Bond's voice. This probably was something to do with my TV, but I thought I'd bring it up anyways.

Replayability (7/10)

I think that depending on your enjoyment of the game, you will have varying levels of replayability. If you are like me and you just enjoy playing as Bond, then the campaign could keep you interested for a long time. If you enjoy the multiplayer, you could also be playing this for a long time. Personally, I can see myself playing this for a long time.

Buy Or Rent?

I think that if you are skeptical, you should rent. If the multiplayer is not any fun for you and you have no desire to play the campaign then you will probably not like this game to much.

I think that “Quantum Of Solace” delivered. The campaign provided a lot of thrills. Also, the multiplayer brought something new to the table and succeeded. Overall, I think this was a $60 well spent.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/11/08

Game Release: Quantum of Solace (US, 11/04/08)