Review by Nizzidramaniiyt

"We meet again, Mr. Bond"

Introduction:

Bond returns. We all know him, we all love him. Question is: does this game finally deliver, since the reputation of the awesome 1996 Goldeneye 64 game has lowered every other Bondgame to a meager attempt at awesomeness? The answer is dubious: this is a nice game, but it doesn't surpass the master of early console FPS's. Still, compared to most Bond games, this one comes out on top.

Gameplay: GOOD

This game comes with a smooth engine that never really causes problems. No frame rate issues, everything runs like it should run. The controls are easy to use, so no problems there either. There are times the game throws some 'quick time events' (QTE) at you, but it's fairly rare and not irritating like the Bourne Trilogy game, and a nice addition to the gameplay. Covering is, again, a vital aspect of the game. Throughout the levels, you can find awful lot of gas thanks to blow apart. But what is a Bond game without the explosions. Aside from that, there isn't much to tell. It's just your average FPS. No need to dictate the features of a FPS, right? In summation: Bond is about action and explosions. You will find that in the gameplay, so no worries.

Originality: BAD

Why include this as a category for reviewing a game. Well, I find that games who bring something new deserve that little extra because of their efforts to elevate gaming to a new level. This games doesn't really do that. In fact, it takes a lot of elements from similar games and uses them to provide a good experience. The game doesn't take minutes of time to learn and master, which is both good and bad. And the story is just the general terrorism-flavored shooter story. Nothing new here. To sum it up for you: this game offers nothing new. It's a been-there-done-that-feeling. But this is also a good thing, given that the game feels familiar from the first time you pop it in your console.

Graphics: GOOD

Nothing extra-ordinary here. The character models look good, and so do the levels. Level design is ok as well. What more is there to say. Explosions look ok too... I'm going to have to call it quits here. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the graphics. Sure, it's not ace like Gears of War 2, given the location aren't that exotic. It's just standard building sites and in-sides. If you want to ogle great graphics, this is not the game for you. But believe me when I say it's quite ok. ;)

Story: BAD

I never cared for stories in shooters. This one, compared to its peers, is one of the worst ever. During my playthrough, never did I in fact have some clue of what was going on. Sure, I'm shooting terrorists, some stuff about a banker, a flashback towards Bond's earlier years... Now, I must mention I haven't seen Bond's latest movie (the one the game is all about). But still, even then, I don't think people will have a clue what the bigger picture is in this game. But like I said, the game's short enough to keep you interested, the action is varied. So you don't really miss a story that ties the game together. If you do care about stories, you might want to consider skipping this game. Furthermore, there seems to be a lack of a permanent Bondgirl. Sometimes the presence of Bondgirls is non-existent. They are there, but mostly, you're on your own.

Replayability: GOOD

Let me start by pointing out that this is a fairly short game in terms of single player campaign. You can probably finish it in a couple of hours. Yet this is nothing new to the gaming industry. In fact, many games only last a couple of hours in the first place. The replay value often comes from the multiplayer. And I must say that this game delivers on that aspect. Many of the classic Goldeneye 64 modes are in fact in the game and are still fun to play. An important notice is that there seems to be no offline multiplayer. The game says there is network play, but with a sole 360/PS3 in the room, I don't think you can play an old-fashioned split-screen play. And that's a bummer.

CONCLUSION:

A good game. Nothing more, nothing less. I thought about giving it a 6 because of the lack of offline MP, but since people don't really care about that anymore, I'll let this issue slide. As for the 'problems'. Like I said, this game has no real issues, but because of the lack of any original matter, I'll give it a 'mere' 7. If you play Live and you don't already own a modern-day shooter like COD5, you might want to pick this one up. You probably won't be disapointed. If you, however, don't play online and have the option to rent games, give this one a go. I played it for 2 days and it didn't feel like a drag at all. For once, the pleasure was all mine. ;)

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 04/06/09

Game Release: Quantum of Solace (EU, 10/31/08)