Review by Zyphron37

"Was it really that bad?"

Note: This is my first review, so forgive me if I make any mistakes, also I'm not fully explaining the gameplay out of laziness
I really want to love Final Fantasy 13 and bought a 360 to play this game because a PS3 was too expensive at the time. I was hyped up about this game ever since it was announced, but was it the next great RPG or a failed test project?

Story:
I'm just going to say that the story is told in an awful way. While starting the game I knew little about the plot or mythology, but you should only have to know the plot before entering the game. Unless it's is a story driven sequel like MGS4. Here you begin the game right in the middle of the action. The plot would be so much understandable if they began with a 20-minute speech. Instead I spent my first 4 hour run of the game thinking "They'll explain the plot later" which they didn't they just made it more confusing. I'll just say you were cursed by the providers of mankind and are the enemy of the government, so you need to escape the government by going to a planet called gran pulse, then you need to destroy god and, you know what I can't explain it, it's just that confusing. I know that there is a dictionary for this universe, but I am just confused even more afterwards. However the story at least feels epic, but isn't up to final fantasy standards.
4/10

Graphics:
This game is gorgeous, it's the prettiest game I've ever played and only a few textures are bland. I honestly don't know what to say other than the game if filled with cut scenes, which can get annoying mostly because of Vanille's voice actress and weird dialog, they do have good action though. The gameplay is also fast, frantic and is the best looking "Press this to win" game I've ever seen.
10/10

Gameplay:
The gameplay is often considered press X to win, which is true for random encounters and weak enemies. The Summons and boss battles can be a challenge and you'll need to strategically plan your attacks and class set-ups. The inability to control your teammates can also be annoying, but the AI is good enough, as long as you scan an enemy before attacking. I'm honestly fine with the class systems, they just take some time to get used too, I know that's a lame excuse, but it's hard to explain it fully. The game spends about 12 hours in a tutorial phase, which wasn't that bad, the game kept moving at least. Everyone has claimed this game to be linear, to which I respond "So? FFX was Linear and people loved that game." Both of them felt like hallways to me, except for Gran Pulse, which is a mini overworld to explore and contains side quest that make the final boss look like a cakewalk.
9/10

Music:
Final Fantasy was always known for its music, and this game while sporting some very nice tracks and an addictive battle theme; it just doesn't feel like Final Fantasy to me. (Sorry for shortness didn't have much to say.)
7/10

Conclusion:
Story is told in an awful fashion with a few high points. It is the prettiest game I've ever seen. Has different, yet very satisfying and fun gameplay. With music that is good and fits the game, yet doesn't feel like final fantasy to me. However it was worth the 70 hours I spent trying to beat side missions
7.5 rounded to 7

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 05/14/10

Game Release: Final Fantasy XIII (US, 03/09/10)