Review by greywolf00

"Great game, too short to justify buying"

I waited to buy this game till the Xmas sales and I'm glad I did. As amazing as the eye candy and fighting system is its just so short I have a hard time believing they wanted $60 for it.

Graphics 9/10

These graphics are amazing. There's a lot of detail and the cut scenes are eye popping. Enemies are pretty much all the same except bosses but that's normal for games.

Sound 8/10

The music doesn't do a very good job of setting a mood or really engrossing you in the game but the nonstop badgering from Joker can be pretty entertaining.

Gameplay 8/10

I love this fighting system. Its simple enough for my dad to pick up but complicated enough to pose a challenge when trying to hit ridiculous combos against a lot of enemies for an average gamer. On the low difficulties you don't need to stalk anyone except the rare groups of fully armed enemies. Running straight in guns blazing so to speak doesn't work so well on Hard when facing anything past the low level disposable thug.

Story 9/10

The story is really original and there's so many famous Batman villains to fight its hard to pull yourself away from the cut scenes. Even my wife sat down to watch some of them. It almost feels like a plot line you'd expect from an old batman cartoon. For every step forward you seem to make there's a twist forcing you do uncover more information and danger.

Replay Value 5/10

The first time I played through I got a majority of the riddles done without even hunting for them specifically. The only things left to do after beating the short story is challenge mode and going for 100% completion. I personally don't care about hunting down every single riddle on the island but I do find challenge mode kinda fun. If nothing else it let's you perfect the art of flowing combos before going through the game again if you want.

Overall 8/10

As I said before I waited to grab this game during Xmas sales and I honestly wish I had just rented it. For all the great things about this game its just too short. I beat the game in about 9 hours the first time solving most of the riddles without making any real effort. It was a casual run through and I wasn't struggling to contain my excitement about going through it again.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 01/05/10

Game Release: Batman: Arkham Asylum (US, 08/25/09)