Review by Grammarazi

"Most overrated game of all time?"

Batman Arkham Asylum is easily the best Batman game yet made....but that doesn't automatically mean it's a great game. I think the overwhelming desire of the game community to have a decent Batman game clouded a lot of reviewers judgments (and continues to do so since I haven't read a single bad review for this game)

Similarly with Transformers: War For Cybertron, I read some bad reviews yes but a lot of glowing ones too when in actual fact the game was mediocre at best. While Batman Arkham Asylum is far, far better than T:WFC it's still not as good as everyone makes out.

The games premise is simple: You are Batman. You've dropped the Joker off at Arkhum but it's a set-up and he manages to take over the place. From this point on you need to do some investigating (essentially following various types of clues that are spoon fed to you) and beat-up all of Jokers goons (plus a few other big name villains).

The good:
- Great combat system
- Lovely graphics
- Excellent voice talent (including the definitive Joke - Mark Hamill!)
- Very true to the character/universe

The bad:
- Extremely repetitive
- Not very exciting; compared to a lot of other games that keep you on the edge of your seat this is just plain dull.
- The investigating parts are pointless (basically just activate special viewing mode & follow footprints/puffs of smoke etc)
- Some very frustrating sections which will have you hammering the controller against your forehead
- Irritating camera movements

If you're a die-hard Batman fan you'll probably love this game. It's without a doubt the best and most true to the character so far. If you're easily bored by repetition & like games to give you something a little different it's probably not for you - this is a one trick pony and that trick is nothing new.

Graphics - 9/10
Sound - 9/10
Gameplay - 7/10
Replayability - 3/10

Summary: It's not that there's anything inherently wrong with the game it just doesn't offer anything new or even remotely exciting apart from the fact that you get to kick some ass as The Dark Knight. By all means rent it & give it a try but if you're anything like me you'll really struggle to see it through to the end due to sheer boredom. I gave this game more chances than any other as I REALLY wanted to love it as much as everyone else but sadly I found it mind-numbingly dull.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 09/09/10

Game Release: Batman: Arkham Asylum (EU, 08/28/09)