Review by hebfec987

"Halo 3 ODST: A phail compared to Halo 3"

Greetings everyone. I have been playing the game Halo 3 ODST everyday, 4 hours a day since 9/22/09. During those gaming sessions I have found that Halo 3: ODST does not have much difference between its award winning predecessor, Halo 3. Overall, I would day that the Halo 3 Engine is truly showing its age and any real gamer will not be impressed by these 2007 graphics.

-First of all, I will have to say that while the gameplay itself is not hindered, an annoying component of the game will act up when you play another game OTHER than Halo 3: ODST. The game's Firefight and Campaign mode will take up to 5 times longer to load than if you had kept playing it without playing another game. I have experienced this first hand while taking a break from Halo to play the talking tree quest in Fallout 3, a TRUE masterpiece. Many player will feel as if they will grow out their fingernails in the time it takes for the superintendent loading screen to fade away.

-Second, the graphics may have been state of the art in its 2007 period, but compared to recently released games such as RE5, or even an earlier game such as Oblivion, ODST's graphic engine (Identical to Halo 3's) no longer “wow's” audiences as in-game graphics are generally better in every way, including shadows, reflections, and particle effects. The people do not feel as fleshed out as in Halo 3, where the designers took real care into doing a non-crappy job.

-Next, I would like to say that the new campaign is lacking in someways, though taking the role of a weaker, subordinate ODST is interesting. You no longer can stand toe-to-toe to brute chieftains like master chief. You will now fly backwards when meleed by a brute, which makes the game slightly challenging. Grunts seem tall and you must look up to at hunters. You also run much slower and take ridiculous amounts of damage from 8 ft tall drops (spells death on legendary mode. Even I could jump from a 10 feet tall bulding).

-Last, the new Firefight mode has been highly anticipated by players around the world. It pits a player against a endless horde of Covenant. many players immediately jumped into Firefight with friends on the first day of released and were impressed. A person I know has played till his Xbox 360 had melted. This is generally the only good addition to Halo 3 ODST. It gives player a different scenario and feeling when playing. Note for weird people, I have found this game slightly racist as first, Romeo, the only black person on the ODST squad has a hand skin tone (in-game) as Dutch, a white male. And Sgt. Johnson, an unlockable Firefight character, has white hands in-games and smokes a never ending cigar. That is all, thank you.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 10/05/09

Game Release: Halo 3: ODST (US, 09/22/09)