Review by Kirby_132

"A successful drop on Bungie's part."

Introduction:

Halo 3: ODST takes place on New Mombasa, where you play as an ODST named The Rookie. The Rookie will traverse through New Mombasa, occasionally encountering some covenant. You will come across items in which, when used, will cause you to "flashback" and play a mission as another ODST. Doing this unravels the story.

Story:

I'm not big on the Halo story lore, but the story is presented phenomenally. ODST's story takes place during the time of Halo 2. It tells us what happened on Earth while the Chief was doing his thing. I don't have much else to say other than that the story plays out well during the game, and it ends beautifully.

10/10

Gameplay:

This is where, as usual, the game shines. While the gameplay aspect is very similar to that of Halo 3, you have to play with an entirely different mindset. Rather than running into a pack of Brutes, guns blazing, you need to have a more stealthy strategy. This game uses a new health system. You have stamina and health. Your stamina is kind of like your shield in Halo 3. When attacked, your screen turns red and will return to normal in a few seconds. If your stamina runs out and you are hit, you start to lose health. The only way to regain health is to pick up Health Packs, occasionally found on walls or on the ground. When your stamina runs out and you lose all of your health, you're dead. You jump a bit lower than Spartans from Halo 3, making it more difficult to climb rocks and other environmental objects. Overall, the gameplay is amazing and never gets old.

10/10

Graphics and Sound:

The graphics and sound are the same as Halo 3's, only slightly polished. There is sometimes debris in the air, which looks really cool. The atmosphere of each level suits it well and looks great. The character models are less bland and more memorable. The lighting is amazing but the coloring is rather bland sometimes.

Some of the weapons have updated sound such as the Assault Rifle. The lines stated by enemies like Grunts or Brutes are new and hilarious. The music sounds amazing, however, is unmemorable. Nothing is too noticeably different from Halo 3, but it's still good even though it's 2 years old.

9/10

Multiplayer:

ODST: The best part of the game, in my opinion, is the multiplayer. While there is occasional lag online, I haven't experienced anything significant. Firefight and Co-Op is a lot of fun to play with friends, however, with the lack of matchmaking, you may not be able to play with many people all the time. You can have up to 4 people in one game over Live, and it never gets old.

ODST Disc 2: This is the Halo 3 Multiplayer. It includes every multiplayer map including the 3 new Mythic Maps. The title screen, background, and music in the menu is also different, in a good way. Other than that, it's the same.

9/10

Final Words:

Overall, the game is fantastic. It comes with the Halo 3 multiplayer which can add loads of replayability. I would highly recommend buying this game if you don't already have Halo 3.

Graphics/Sound: 9/10
Multiplayer: 9/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/12/09

Game Release: Halo 3: ODST (Limited Edition) (US, 09/22/09)