Review by brutalgrindcore

"A review, solely of the campaign. (not from a halo geek)"

Hello.
I am one of those unbelievably rare humans that do not have Xbox live so I will be reviewing the campaign and nothing else.

Now I'l just say that the story on this game is pretty damn excellent.Its very different to the other Halo games storylines I thought.Basically the plot is: your a rookie (how original) who crashlands on a covenant ridden city in the middle of night searching for remnants of his fellow ODST squadmates.Everytime you find an item you'l get transported to that particular ODST and play his mission.I actually found this confusing at the start as it wasnt really explained what you were doing and I diddnt have a freakin clue what the hell was going on but I soon caught up.While the story won't win any awards I still particularly enjoyed it and I actually found that it was tinged wiht a hint of melancholy.For some reason I felt pretty sad playing the game because of the atmosphere and music and It was a great change from the upbeat happy adentures of the master chief.

Speaking of him, gameplay is slightly diffrent this time around.You can no longer jump very high at all and if you fall down from something up high you will take damage.Also you no longer just regain your shields after a while.You must find healthpacks.These are about the only changes to the gameplay although I curiously found that the ODSTs were actually able to take more punishment that the master chief in regards to getting shot.Other than that the same mindblowingly flawless and awesome gameplay elements from Halo 3 are here.All the old enemies and weapons are still here and I don't actually think there are any new ones which is a shame.Still theres nothing quite as fun as as kicking as scarabs ass in a banshee then crash-landing on top of it to kick out its generator thingy then watching it burrrrrrnn.But it probably has the best gameplay I have ever experieced in my life while playign a game.Just outstanding

Now picture the graphics for Halo 3.You've just imagined the graphics for ODST....STill amazing after all these years but just the same with no realy improvements.

Music: 10/10
The music and sound in this game is mindblowingly awesome.Seriously very good.From bluesy/jazzy guitar improvisations to sad piano tracks the music hits the nail on the head.Absoloutly superb.

Lasting appeal: 8/10
Now as we all knew...the campaign was gonna be short and it is.I finished it in about 4 or 5 hours on Normal difficulty which is a shame but I still love the game and while it will be a while before I go back to it I'm sure all you Halo geeks will be playing on live for months to come with the new Firefight mode and all the multiplayer features and that....

Overall:
I never was a massive Halo fan but I quite liked Halo 2 and love Halo 3.And I think this one is freakin awesome.The campaign is A great short thrill ride which you WILL enjoy and live will no doubt keep you occupied for many millenia to come.Get this game or if you don't have live and are just interested in the campaign for gods sake man rent it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/10

Game Release: Halo 3: ODST (EU, 09/22/09)