Review by Starfoxiscool22

"ODST: Not the weakest link of the franchise."

Many people can say that ODST is the highlight. Others might say it is an embarrassment to the Halo series and Bungie. Some others, like myself, think it isn't the best in the series, but pretty damn amazing. In the game, you play as the lone ODST soldier "Rookie", with a classified real identity, a take on the Master Chief, I'm guessing. The game was very enjoyable, switching between the alone Rookie and all of his teammates, taking flashbacks into levels and experiencing things that the teammates did that influenced the Rookie's findings. A whole campaign of bouncing back and forth between characters may seem exhausting, but I rather enjoyed it. While playing as the Rookie, I give Bungie full points for an attempt at the stealth mission essence given, but take a few points for silencers that don't work.

The combat is both the same and changed, taking one's shields and giving stamina. The return of the Health Bar, lost after Halo: Combat Evolved, was a good idea, considering how easily the player can die compared to the Spartan counterparts. In mentioning of Spartans and ODSTs, you are no longer a superhuman. In ODST, your jumping ability has been limited, and your melee is a lot weaker. I was disappointed at the weakening of the Sub Machine Gun (SMG) and the absence of the Battle Rifle, but pleased at the return of the Brute Plasma Rifle, lost after Halo 2, which featured a higher fire rate than the standard Plasma Rifle. The addition of the Engineers presented a new enemy, and the classic activity of Scarab-killing isn't forgotten.

The campaign is quite lengthly, and the Firefight mode is just about as spectacular. I sincerely commemorate Bungie on this new mode. The stubborn essential is that one usually needs a few players to play the Firefight mode, as soloing the Firefight mode is a pain, especially on Legendary difficulty. The Firefight mode presented a mode where ODST players could get together over Xbox Live and kick a whole Covenant army to hell and back as fast as possible. Firefights were tough with the addition of skulls every Round, but Bonus Rounds, vehicles, and a whole lot of guns made up for the constant itchy trigger finger.

Bungie presented a very awesome game, complete with a die-hard campaign mode and the brand-new kick-ass Firefight mode, this is, in my opinion, a game in the Halo not to be missed out on.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/25/10

Game Release: Halo 3: ODST (Limited Edition) (US, 09/22/09)