Review by jot20

"Suprisingly good for downloadable content"

I was a bit iffy about this once it was announced by Rockstar. According to the makers, the game was to around 10-15 hours long and would only have 4 new achievements (There might be 5). But I wouldn't judge the game solely on it's length and replay value. The Lost and Damned brings back that edge GTA IV had. Your player's name is Johnny and you are part of a motorcycle gang called The Lost. Your mission is to take over Liberty city and become the most dangerous, fearless gang around. The length of the game is nowhere near as long as GTA IV but the missions are enjoyable enough.

Later on in the game, you can start doing gang wars and motorcycle races. There are about 12 races and 25 gang wars total. They're just little side missions you can do for fun. There is an achievement for doing something in the races. Now on to the missions. The characters in this game (except members of The Lost and minor characters) are all from GTA IV. It seems you and Niko like to work for the same people. Completing each mission earns you respect for members of The Lost. You can also call for backup during those tough missions to avoid throwing your controller(I was tempted a couple of times). Motorcycles are like the theme of this game so get used to riding your bike around Liberty City.

Like GTA IV, the sound and graphics are phenomenal. The GTA series looks to have a future in realistic games. A lot of comedy in the characters too which is great to me. The seriousness in past GTA games has let me down quite often. Rockstar pulled out all the stops this time. The content is a lot more mature than GTA IV. Makes sense as you are part of a biker gang. What are they suppose to do? Be kind to each other? If you enjoyed GTA IV, you will definitely enjoy The Lost and the Damned. The games are pretty much the same controlling-wise so there is no need to learn new skills. Same surroundings and places as GTA IV. No one likes having to remember new cities.

If you have the extra cash, you should definitely buy it. This is an Xbox 360 exclusive so I also suggest PS3 owners to try it out at a friend's house or consider buying an Xbox 360. Shame Sony users are missing out on something useful. GTA IV might have lost it's value but The Lost and the Damned should bring you back into that gun wielding, carjacking fun.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/06/09

Game Release: Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned (US, 02/17/09)