Review by ACowWithaDS

"NHL 3 on 3 Arcade- A Hockey Hit Fest"

NHL 3 on 3 Arcade Review

I am not a diehard hockey fan. I watch it occasionally, and with that being said here is my review on NHL 3 on 3 Arcade.

I was expecting this game a week earlier, so when it came out on Feb. 11 I was a bit surprised. I had sort of forgotten about the game. Once I saw it on the marketplace I decided I would give it a shot. Glad I did, as this game is well worth the ten bucks for diehard and everyday fans alike.

When EA says “No-Rule” hockey, they mean it. The gameplay is real fast thanks to powerups, and it seems like an all out brawl. You can check people over the boards, knock the goalie down, or do whatever when you don't have the puck. This becomes really frustrating at times, especially when playing online and everybody just hits. Against the AI though, the no-rule hockey is really fun.

As I mentioned above, there are powerups. Depending on how you look at it, this sort of detracts your enjoyment of the game (you can turn them off). Personally I prefer a sports game without cheesy powerups. Some people enjoy it. Meh. Anyways, you can get powerups by laying big hits on your opponents. They range from REALLY cheap powerups- like the Big Goalie or Small Goalie – to some that almost hurt more then help – extra speed. Thankfully there is an option to turn these off when playing local.

I was sort of disappointed in some of the player's in the game, a few great players got snubbed. Doesn't matter much though, as almost all the players are same(If they are in the same category like Fast, Strong, etc). They have some pretty big name goalies in the game though, but they play like Ovechkin is taking shots on an eight year old goalie! I have gotten the puck in between the goalies legs from across the ice! Seriously, the goalies play like they have no idea what they are doing which can bring frustrating to a whole new level- trust me!

Graphically this game is nice. It reminds me of a Wii game with the style of art the players are. Almost cartoony, but I like it. It's different and refreshing. More games need to follow this sort of style. Definitely an upside to the game. It's even easy to see the puck!

Online is okay if you like to spam hits and not play hockey like it's hockey and more of a street brawl. Thankfully there is leaderboards and voice chat or this game would bore almost everyone online very fast. One great new feature is the fact you can play with two other guests online(or offline for that matter). Fun stuff.

The players are easy to control. Hitting can sometimes be glitchy, but you can either hit with the RS or B so it is pretty easy to adjust to whatever you are used to on other hockey games. Having the same buttons to hit and shoot can be annoying at times, however, if you ment to hit someone put grab the puck as you press the button forcing you to shoot .

Roundup:

Overall this is a great game no matter how you play it- As a brawl or as a hockey game with bigger hits. With or without powerups. As I said earlier, a definite buy for anyone who likes hockey.

Pros:

+ Graphics
+ Big hits
+ Easy to adapt to controls
= Online
= Powerups
- The occasional “hit fest”

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 03/30/09

Game Release: 3 on 3 NHL Arcade (US, 02/11/09)