Review by Black Gold

"Welcome to Hell"

Welcome to Hell: Dante's Inferno

I was very psyched to hear that Dante's Inferno was being made into a video game. A game set in Hell has much potential to be a exciting adventure. I immediately downloaded the demo. Over 3 hours later it was done and I got to play a whopping 10 minutes of the game. After all that time downloading I was hoping for a bit more instead of being felt feeling violated. I expected the full game to deliver after that because it did look promising.

Story

The story of the game deviates heavily from the poem. The game version of Dante has him as a crusader who is returning home from the third Crusade. Because of some of his actions during the battles, he returns to find his love Beatrice murdered. Dante then sees Beatrice's soul being taken to Hell. Dante vows to save her and ventures into Hell. At the gates of Hell he meets the Roman poet Virgil, who agrees to guide him through Hell. With Virgil as his guide, Dante sets off to free Beatrice's soul.

Game-play

I found the controls and the fighting to be very fluid. There's nothing difficult or clunking about them. I've heard a lot about this game being like the God of War games. Although I've never played God of War, the comparison can't be so bad going off of God of War's reputation.

Dante's has to main weapons during the game. They are Death's scythe gained at the beginning of the game and the Holy Cross received from Beatrice before being dragged into Hell. The scythe is a melee weapon and the Holy Cross is for ranged attacks. Throughout the game experience is earned by defeating enemies and this experience is used to level up the main weapons. The Holy Path is for the Holy Cross and the Unholy Path for the scythe. Moving upward with the paths, dozens of combos for each weapon are unlocked, they become more powerful, and the health and manna bars are increased. Once you get the hang of the combos, Dante can produce some striking and devastating attacks on the enemy.

Throughout the game are relics that can be found. These are helpful as each has its own unique power-up with it. The more a relic is used the more it levels up. A few can be used at a time and a very useful in defeating enemies, especially the bosses. Mix and match them based on the situation or your fighting strategy. The special magic abilities will also come in handy in the boss fights, so make sure to go into those fights with filled manna bars.

Also, get good at swinging and jumping. There is a lot of it in getting around in the game. Poorly timed moves with will kill you and it can be frustrating having to keep starting over. With that being said, make use of the save fountains scattered throughout the levels.

Graphics/Sound

The graphics were very well done and, for a game based on Dante's inferno, they better be. The details in the settings were great. The level designs were fantastic. There were plenty of times were a stopped advancing through the level after a fight to look at the background. It met my expectations of what I was expecting from a romp through Hell. The sound was good as well. The background music did not jump out at me as anything special, but it was not out of place either. The sound can be a bit disturbing when fighting the unbaptized babies.

Playtime

It took me around 8-9 hours to beat the game. Though I did run through it again to max out the Holy and Unholy Paths, there was not much to do after that. I replay-ability hurts the overall value of the game.

I would recommend this game as a rent, though it has probably dropped in price or can be bought used. The short run time is my main reason. You can beat this game in few days. It is a good game, but the lacking overall value keeps it from being great.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 01/18/11

Game Release: Dante's Inferno (US, 02/09/10)