Review by myname123456789

"Outstanding..."

Firstly, let me just say that I just literally completed the game's main story mode just a few minutes ago, so bear with me. This game takes place in the 15th century, mostly in Italy. This game is similar to the first one, but brings in a few new and exciting features. One major feature is the Uplay.com feature. This website allows you to link your gamertag to your Uplay account and earn points and unlock new content for the game. Did I mention it is all free? This review will feature the five main topics for any video game: gameplay, graphics, sound, story, and replay value.

The gameplay in this game is nearly identical to the first game, just with more fluid controls. However, this game still suffers from the same flaws that Assassin's Creed 1 had. For example, combat still feels funny. Only one person comes at you at a time, which slows the combat down by a huge amount. At times, throughout the game, it actually starts to become a little boring fighting enemies. As a result, you try to find new and efficient ways for killing your enemies. Another flaw this game has is that when you jump from place to place, it is rather difficult to make the jump. For example, if you have a large area to jump to, you will make it 9 out of 10 times, but, if it is a rather 'tight' jump you have a much smaller chance to hit it due to camera angles or no real way to direct where to land. However, this game also fixes a few problems Assassin's Creed 1 had, as well. The biggest improvement it made, which was necessary, was fixing the repetitiveness of the missions. Now there are dozens of different missions and while you are playing, you don't realize you are repeating the same mission, unless you think about it.

The graphics in this game are fantastic. There are moments in the game when I just ran around the cities to explore the areas. For a sandbox game, buildings are detailed beautifully, shadows are well done, and water is realistic looking (which you can now swim in by the way). However, the major flaw with the graphics is the character textures. These flaws are not noticeable in the actual gameplay, but when you go to a cut scene it is quite noticeable. In fact, you might even question how come the texture looks so bad in comparison to everything else. Though, the environment is beautifully done and the animations are spot on, too.

Not to much to say in regards to the sound. The music is nice to listen to while playing. The music also changes while you are in combat or in a major scene, which 'pumps' you up. However, the voice acting, in my opinion, could use some work. At times, during cut scenes, the voices feel a little awkward. The accents are messed up, too. All in all, these flaws are barely noticeable, without looking for them, but they are still flaws.

I will try to cover as much as I can without spoiling anything/ The plot of this game is fantastic. The game starts you off right where Assassin's Creed 1 left off, literally. This story mode, depending on your 'skill', can take you anywhere from 16-21 hours just for the main story mode. If you decide to do all of the extra content, i.e. side missions, collectibles, buying new weapons/armor, etc. it can take you at least 30+ hours. Also, like I previously stated, they fixed the problems with repetitive missions , so the game is more enjoyable to play this time around. All in all, I find you will have a fun time keeping up with the story as it really drags you in. The only minor flaw I can say about the story is that the game really does not pick up until approximately two hours into it, which was fine and hardly noticeable for me.

Replay Value: 9/10

There is a ton of replay value in this game. Like previously mentioned, there is extra content in this game such as side missions, collectibles, new weapons/armor upgrades, etc. All of this could grant you a bunch of extra hours of gameplay. Also, the collectibles also have rewards, as well. However, the one thing I am dying for is a co-op. Anything to play with my friends and I am sure you feel the same.

Rent or Buy?

Personally, I would rent this game. The extra content really does not appeal to me, as I hate doing the collectible stuff. If you want to collect items or just like to have a library of games, I would say buy this game. If not, I would say rent this game. I also strongly recommend you play Assassin's Creed 1, prior to playing this game, as you will probably not understand the story at all. I, personally bought this game because I wanted it in my collection.

Pros:

Great Story Mode
Hours of Replay Value
Great graphics/sound
Fluid gameplay

Cons:

Slow Combat
Precise jumping is a burden
Slow Story in the beginning
Bad character textures

"Requiescat in pace" (You'll hear that a lot)

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/23/09

Game Release: Assassin's Creed II (US, 11/17/09)