Review by Relent688

"Good Game With few troublesome flaws"

I am going to open by saying that I have yet to complete the game, only about 3.5 hours total. What I have seen, in terms of total overall gameplay, AC II is leaps and bounds better than the first of the series. The game has little in terms of flaws in my opinion.

The opening before you get the Assassin's Outfit feels tedious, but in my opinion, well worth it to kind of give you an incite into the the conflict outside the Animus while building on the player's emotions to actually relate to Ezio. I love the treasure hunting aspect to help build up your bank, while looking for the glyphs and such. The puzzles to unlock the full The Truth section, start off rather simple for the first couple, after that, I found them ridiculously annoying, having only completed about 7 by pure happenstance of finding them. The gameplay is flowing and the addition of the second hidden blade make assassinations much more fun and entertaining. Not to mention the new ways that you are able to assassinate enemies. What really impressed me in combat is that you are now able to deflect attacks with the hidden blade, which makes the counter attack for it a bit easier. I think the clincher that makes this game better is that in the 3.5 hours of play, I have only left the Animus once and that was at the beginning. If that is much of the same, good because I found that to be a major flaw of the first in terms of breaking the flow of the game.

All in all, I love what I see and I hope that the ending for AC II is not a kick in the face like the first one. The scenery of the game is as beautiful as the first and I love the fact that it is so easy to relate to Ezio in terms of an emotional connection to get vengence for what happens to his family. Another knock against this game, and there are few that I honestly can give the game right now, is that you are not able to turn in codex pages at will, you have to wait until the game gives you a mission/quest to go see Leonardo.

A solid 8/10 for me. I would make it a 9, but those puzzles really broke the flow of the game for me, even though they are optional. An easy buy for fans of the first, a rent for those who did not enjoy the first but are definately curious as to what happens to Desmond if they cared to beat the original.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/23/09

Game Release: Assassin's Creed II (US, 11/17/09)