Question from AtomicTangerine

Is it possible to miss stuff?

I messed up on an early task where a guy came up and asked me to stop a hanging, and I can't tell if it was a stranger mission or a random event. The real question though is if I mess up on things like this, does it lock out future missions with those characters forever, or is this like other Rockstar games where I can just go back and start the whole thing over again?

What you encountered was a random event, like stagecoach ambushes and horse thieves trying to steal your steed -- they're denoted by blue icons on the minimap. The outcome of these technically doesn't matter, and they'll repeat either way. A few random events are necessary to earn outfit scraps (the protect-the-citizens prerequisites) and start the Treasure Hunter ambient challenge, though.