Review by legolas0008

"I've never played the first game in the series, and now that this is out, it'll be a long time before I do."

(Before I get started, let me say that I base my games on a 5/10 average, not 7/10, like most reviewers seem to nowadays.) Ah, Red Dead Redemption: The so-called "Wild West Grand Theft Auto". I wasn't really interested in this game until shortly before it was released, but I'm so very glad I did.

The graphics in this game are superb. The 360 version, according to various reports and posts that I've seen, has generally better graphics than the PS3 version. The people and towns look almost real, as do the various cloth and texture effects, and the blood, dust, and rain effects are simply eye-catching as well. Many of the wilderness textures, such as hillsides, are pretty low-res, but when you're blazing by on your horse, you don't really notice. Overall, there are a couple small flaws, but they can be easily overlooked.

Sound/Music: 8/10
The sound effects fit the game quite well. None of them have really stood out to me as being different or unique, but all the gunshot sounds, screams, horse hooves pounding against the ground, etc. all sound as realistic as I'd imagine possible.

The music is quite the same way: None of the music really stands out as being much more than a simple western soundtrack, but it obviously fits the game quite well. I'm not sure if it's intentional, but I always seem to really notice the music when it's most fitting, such as during the climax of a gunfight, or when I'm running from certain death while on my horse.

This is where the game really shines. As you'd imagine, the standard controls are very similar to Grand Theft Auto 4, but there are many new features which are unique to RDR, as of now, such as lassoing an escaped horse or a violent criminal. The controls are very fluid, to me, although the jumping could use a bit of work. The other unique features, like dueling in the street, or the several new minigames, also feel very nice and polished, rather than tacked-on and gimmicky.

Replayability: 9/10
I haven't had the chance to actually "replay" any part of this game yet, but I'd imagine that, as long as you don't play it TOO much, or for too long, that it would take a couple playthroughs to get very boring. There's also the online multiplayer modes, which I haven't gotten around to trying yet, but I'd imagine that they would add a nice amount of fun as well.

Overall: Red Dead Redemption is a solid, great fun action/shooter, leaving aside many of the boring, rehashed things that many generic action games have nowadays. 8/10 (not an average) may seem a little low compared to what I just said, but consider that I'm using 5 as the "average" point, and 10/10 would be absolutely perfect. It's a great game, even so, and I suggest anyone reading this that hasn't picked it up yet should, in the near future.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/21/10

Game Release: Red Dead Redemption (US, 05/18/10)