Review by Coloradough

""Sorry miss, I'm a married man.""

"Oh no he gave it a 6/10! That's like getting a D!" is what you're thinking. 5/10 would be a completely average game. Five degrees of good, five degrees of bad, this isn't high school. And so Red Dead Redemption scores slightly higher than your average game.

The graphics are good for their day, there are no noticeable draw distance issues or things loading in weird places. The game doesn't try to imitate real life, it has its own style, much like Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto series. Looking out into a valley during sunset is actually something that RDR has done better than any other game I've played – it really is a sight, not ruined by jagged lines or areas you're clearly not meant to get to.

Plot: 4/10
Red Dead Redemption scores slightly lower than your average game in the aspect of story. For at least half of the game the plot is devoid of emotion of all kinds. Who was the bad guy again? Wait, that wasn't the guy I was looking for? Why am I defending this very annoying person again? It's one mustachioed cowboy after another. When the plot finally does pick up, any characters that might have been interesting don't stick around long enough for there to be any kind of development or chance to form an emotional attachment.

Nothing we haven't seen before in just about every 3rd person shooter of this generation. The missions range from short to medium length, many being padded by eventless horse rides to places behind your companion. Most consist of riding through the country whilst shooting hordes of unnamed cowboys from their horses. There was not a single mission that left me saying “wow” and sitting back with a content smile on my face for a job well done against seemingly incredible odds. Did a handful have an interesting conclusion? Sure. But those are far outnumbered by the mind numbing and lazily designed cattle herding, dog following, and roping horse missions.

Replayability: 5/10
I suppose if you're into playing the same game over and over you'd play RDR again. I wouldn't.

Overall: The Grand Theft Auto series gained its popularity by letting players experience ultimate freedom. Freedom from the law, freedom to go wherever and do whatever you want. Didn't like someone? Waste em. Or don't. Didn't like that guy bumping into your fender? Throw him off a bridge. Or don't. Money? I TAKE what I want, thanks. Maybe I'll help someone though. Red Dead's main character is instead chained down like the rest of us and seems to remind us of that at every step of the road. A “married man” who HAS to do this, or CAN'T do that.

I didn't DISLIKE the game, but it's nothing we haven't seen before, and he novelty of shooting old timey guns from a horse wears off pretty quickly; and then you're just left with a cliche plot and robotic characters.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/24/10

Game Release: Red Dead Redemption (US, 05/18/10)