Review by ratlank501

"Brilliant Single Player marred by underwhelming Multiplayer"

Red Dead Redemption is an epic open world adventure, set in 1911.

Graphics: The game looks great. Characters look life-like. The high point of the graphics is the environment. I have spent many hours just looking at the wild west. This world that Rockstar has created is fantastic. Not much else to say here.

Sound: Music isn't great but does the job. Western music often plays in major gunfights and sometimes plays while just riding around. The real high here is the voice acting. Most of the characters are brilliantly acted. My only complaint about the voice acting, is that when you are in Mexico, lots of people speak Spanish. I can't speak Spanish so I didn't understand most of it. Other than that though, the sound is awesome.

Story: The plot itself isn't that good, however the characters are. You play as John Marston, a former outlaw who was shot and left for dead by his former gang. Marston's job is to hunt them down. Most of the story missions go like this:
"Mr Marston, we've found the people your looking for."
You the have a long ride to the destination, storm the place and then the people your looking for are not there. You then do numerous missions for the guy that said he found them, most of which are unrelated to the actual plot. I also didn't like the ending, but can't say anymore about that, without giving away spoilers.

Gameplay: Red Dead Redemption plays like a TPS. There is a small dot in the middle of the screen, which makes it easy to get headshots on foes. Horse mounted combat is also fun. the real high of the gameplay however is hunting. There are tons of animals to hunt, ranging from rabbits to bears. You can skin these animals and sell them to make some easy money. The cover system doesn't always work and often makes you stick to the wrong thing. Most importantly, gameplay is FUN. I spent 6 hours at the start of the game, just riding around and taking in the sights, without doing any story missions.

Multiplayer: Multiplayer is disappointing. You can join a free roam with up to 15 other players. Sadly. all the things that make single player fun are gone. No random events, less NPC's. No poker, liar's dice, five finger fillet or anything like that. The only thing to do is shoot things or people. Oh, you can also clear gang hideouts, which is just more shooting.
There is also competitive modes, although I haven't tried them much yet.

Final Score: 8 / 10 - Great - fun to play, some minor but no major flaws. That sentence sums it up quite nicely.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/26/10

Game Release: Red Dead Redemption (EU, 05/21/10)