Review by CheesyPhil

"Another year, another Call Of Duty."

We all knew this was coming. Ever since Call Of Duty 4, Treyarch and Infinity Ward have been scrambling to rake in the massive profits that they can get from the series. Unfortunately, this has lead to a downfall in the series. Does that apply to this entry? Well, yes and no.

GRAPHICS: 7/10
I admit, the graphics are very crisp and clear. However, it gives me a feeling that I've seen this before. Oh wait, I have. Back in the past 2 Call Of Duty games. Even though the graphics are admittedly good, they achieve only a 7 out of 10 because ultimately, they are very similar to the previous games. They should have given us something entirely new, which they didn't.

SOUND: 6/10
Honestly, what sound can you get from a FPS? You have your standard gunshots and explosions. Again, the developers and programmers decided to recycle and edit previous sounds. As far as I can hear, there is nothing entirely new. I'm not asking for a completely redone sound system, but at least have something different. It sounds like I'm playing Modern Warfare 2 when I play this.

CAMPAIGN: 6/10
Welcome to Standard Cookie-Cutter FPS Campaign 101. Today, I will be showing you a perfect example of an unoriginal and uninteresting campaign. Yes Black Ops continues down the road of unoriginal-ness. (Is that even a word?) I'm not saying it's bad, they added quite a few new weapons and equipment. But again, if you have played any of the past Call Of Duty games, then you have played Black Ops' campaign. The levels are very linear, and the plot is relatively uninteresting. (You are an elite soldier sent out to save the world from war. Where have we heard that one before?)

MULTIPLAYER: 5/10
Here we are at the last, and arguably most important part of any Call Of Duty game, the multiplayer. About 60% of people who buy this game are online players. But, once again, the developers follow the same rout as the previous steps. They added some new maps, tweaked a few features, included some new guns and equipment and slapped on a new title. One thing that I do appreciate is the new customization feature, where you use money/points to buy new weapons, perks and equipment for your character. This makes sure that higher level players don't dominate the lower level ones. Although a cool new feature, it does not save this game from becoming “just another FPS.”

VERDICT: 5/10
Another year, another Call Of Duty. I'll put it as bluntly as I can. If you have played any of the previous CoDs, then you have played this one.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 11/09/10

Game Release: Call of Duty: Black Ops (US, 11/09/10)