Review by AvengerStar

"I have lost my faith in Call of Duty now."

I have played the first Call of Duty, and I thought it was good, especially for it's time. The next two that came out were also somewhat decent, I wouldn't go as far as to say they were better than the first, but they were about on par. When Call of Duty 4 came out... It all went down hill. All the way to Black Ops. Black Ops is part of a series that has been milked to death for years, and yet, people still defend it for being an awesome game. It's gotten real old real fast, due to the fact that there hasn't been much that has changed ever since CoD 4.

A game has to be fun. What happens when the fun starts becoming boring and generic? It sucks, and that's exactly the case here. They brought back Nazi Zombies. Ok, but that's not that much different from World at War. The campaign is about as boring as the one in Modern Warfare 2. It's extremely lenient and very unoriginal in terms of storytelling. Too boring, in fact, that I think I got deja vu of playing this case scenario back in WaW. (I'll get to multiplayer in a different section).

The graphics do look decent, I must admit. Unfortunately for any game in existence, graphics don't make a game. A pure example could be shown in Minecraft. That game has crappy graphics for the standards of today, but it is still very intricate and elaborate, especially compared to this, a game I almost cannot tell the difference to the 3 games before it. Most of the gun models look like they have been ripped from MW2, made only a few changes, and then placed here shamelessly. This is appealing to people, apparently.

Sounds: 2/10

Gun sounds, people dying, EVERYONE whining. That has obviously not changed. It probably never will, seeing as how Treyarch and Infinity-Ward see it as "successful" or something. I hit mute, and I somehow played better. Probably because it gives me a break to play CoD without all the sounds I've heard to death before on previous releases. Next.

Multiplayer: 3/10

I have saved the best (or possibly worst) for last. The main selling point is the multiplayer (of course, that could be subject to debate, due to the amount of people compliment this game solely for the graphics). The very first complaint I've heard from a lot of people while playing is how they can no longer be OP with their guns and kill streaks. Balance is best for me. I play TF2 on the PC quite often, and over there, balance and teamwork is part of how you can be better than the other team. In team-based battles, isn't that the idea? I would rate this higher just for that, but it's the fact that complaints coming out of mostly MW2 players is what I have a problem with. Another thing I might add is the fact that now you buy the weapons. Before, you had to level up for weapons. In TF2, you have to find them by drops, trade for them, or buy them using actual currency. Ok, that's fine.

But that doesn't save it from being as repetitive as before. Multiplayer is practically the same as before, even after you have to kill for your kill without using cheap kill streaks obtained through camping. Seriously, people should be kicked from the server if they don't move for 2 seconds without being paused just to justify this.

Final Score: 3/10

To say what I have said in 4 words: I've seen it before. I'm selling my copy, and going back to FPSes that I can actually enjoy. I will never understand how this game makes it in the world of gaming.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 11/11/10

Game Release: Call of Duty: Black Ops (US, 11/09/10)