Review by peteer01

"Call of Duty: Black Ops, the best Call of Duty game to date."

Let me start by saying that I rated MW2 a 4, and my review was starred, deleted, reposted, starred, deleted, reposted, starred and deleted within the first two months of the game being out. I also rated WaW a 10/10, a score that I still think WaW deserve, especially as they tweaked the game to patch exploits and improve game play, and added to Zombies with map packs as they improved the diversity of the maps with map packs in multiplayer.

I am a huge fan of World at War, including zombies, multiplayer and single player. I was also very impressed by Call of Duty 4's single player and multiplayer, but I found myself very let down by a short, offensive and unentertaining single player campaign in MW2, coupled with a buggy multiplayer experience that I gave up on within a few months of purchasing the game. (For a long list of my complaints, just google my user name and "Modern Warfare 2 review". I would link to my GameFAQs review, but as I mentioned above, GameFAQs seemed unwilling to allow a long and detailed negative review for MW2 to stay up despite approving it multiple times.)

I was tentatively hopeful that Black Ops would provide a more enjoyable experience. I was blown away by how good this game is. First, if you view my MW2 review, every single one of the key issues/suggestions I had has been fixed/implemented in Black Ops. Beyond that, the single player is longer, more entertaining and more interesting than MW2. The multiplayer feels more like COD4 and COD:WaW than MW2, which is a very good thing in my book. However, the game does borrow many of the ideas, perks and tweaks that MW2 implemented, which results in the best COD multiplayer experience I have seen yet.

Zombies also makes a return in COD:BO, with two full fledged maps, as well as a hidden game (Dead Ops Arcade) and the classic game Zork both being accessible through a PC terminal hidden in the main menu of the game.

All said and done, a fan of the single player will find that the intel, variable difficulties and enjoyable campaign will provide over a dozen hours of entertainment. I know first hand that zombies alone can provide dozens and dozens hours of entertainment, and the multiplayer is the best online FPS experience I have had on the 360 to date. (I consider it superior to the past COD games, as well as Halo, Gears of War and Battlefield games.)

I've spent well over 250 hours on both COD4 and COD:WaW, and I highly expect to find even more enjoyment and reasons to keep playing with Call of Duty: Black Ops. While not all game types will align with everyone's tastes, I fully expect there to enough here for every fan of first person shooters to be able to find enough entertainment to justify a purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/10

Game Release: Call of Duty: Black Ops (US, 11/09/10)