Review by Dark_squall2005

"The downfall of gaming"

Seeing as how this is a straight forward review process, I'm just going to jump right to the point.

The story in Call of duty games always seems to be an afterthought. They are linear and predictable and this game is no exception. While other games have added fully integrated campaign co op without a hitch, the lazy programmers at Treyarch and Infinity Ward have never managed to get co op functioning properly, electing only to throw in gimmicky game modes such as zombies (which is a really fun game mode but is not a true substitute for co op). With online multiplayer constantly being degraded by camping thirteen year olds who quit at the first sign of defeat (more on this later), co op seems to be the only mode I can tolerate anymore, which is sad because Call of Duty still hasn't gotten co op to work.

Multiplayer: 2/10
Multiplayer has always been the big selling point for the Call of Duty series, which is sad because it's very quickly degrading to the point where playing it is more of a chore now. Multiplayer has been over run by whiny thirteen year olds who camp for kill streaks and begin to quit once your team starts to lose. Call of Duty isn't the only game suffering from this and I really think that Microsoft needs to work on a universal system for live that restricts players from playing competitive modes if they quit to often. More and more I find myself turning to co op modes like zombies in games to offset the fact that online matchmaking has turned into a pre puberty whine fest.

I'm giving Call of Duty the benefit of the doubt here, while some features still feel like they're being intentionally left out (like co op), some of its problems aren't the direct result of the programmers being lazy but are a problem with the community playing the game. Unfortunalty a review is a collective review of the entire gaming experience, and in multiplayer the community makes the game. In this case the community is horrible and it reflects on the game itself.

What really upsets me is that people are directly comparing Call of Duty to other games (that aren't even from the same genre) and saying that other games aren't fun like “COD”, which is sad because “COD” isn't fun anymore. So not only is Call of Duty killing itself, it's killing gaming as a whole.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 11/22/10

Game Release: Call of Duty: Black Ops (US, 11/09/10)