Review by Crayonmuffin

"Call of Duty is dead to me now."

I've been a fan of the Call of Duty franchise since the very first one. It was my second first person shooter and I fell in love with them ever since. As soon as the new consoles(Xbox 360, Playstation 3) came out and Modern Warfare hit shelves, I was in straight nerd mode. The first Modern Warfare is still by far one of my favorite games I've ever played. Now when the second one came out I was excited...until I played it. I mean DANG that game is broken beyond belief. Don't get me wrong, the game was insanely easy for me. I expected more. Now when Black Ops was announced I though to myself "Hey, maybe Treyarch will listen to what the players want and make a better game." Nope. All they did was make Modern Warfare 2 with different guns and a few nerfs. Which is fine with me but they didn't IMPROVE the game at all.

Gameplay 4/10- The gameplay in Black Ops is very similar if not EXACTLY THE SAME as it is in Modern Warfare 2. Nothing has changed about it. "BUT IT'S A FIRST PERSON COD SHOOTER THEY'RE ALL THE SAME." False. The first Modern Warfare was competitive as all hell. And I actually felt challenged when playing online. In Modern Warfare 2 if I didn't get a nuke then that was considered a bad game for me, and it didn't happen very often. Black Ops is the same way. Yes Treyarch did nerf some things that indeed needed nerfed, but altogether didn't really improve the game that much. It seriously feels like Modern Warfare 2 with less noob options to choose from. What I did like about it was the way they set up how you acquire guns, perks, etc. Instead of unlocking them you use COD points to buy them. A good idea. I also like how instead of just getting pro perks like it's no big deal you now have to actually do some pretty difficult tasks to get them. Makes the game a little more difficult. Which is good.

Respawns- I have to put a new paragraph in this just to point out the respawns in Black Ops. The respawns in this game are by far the worst out of any game I have ever played in my entire life. The first initial spawn points are just fine, but when the killing starts it seems that they are just randomized. Every single match I play, many times during the round, I will kill someone and they immediately spawn right next to me and kill me(even if I'm in my own spawn zone). Also, many times during each match I will be killed and spawn directly in the middle of a firefight between players. This, to me, is the game's biggest weak point. It needs to be fixed.

Story 9/10- The story is the only part of Black Ops that really sticks out for me. I absolutely loved it. While most of the players who bought the game took it home and didn't and still haven't touched the campaign, they're missing out. It might actually be my favorite storyline to accompany a first person shooter, and that doesn't happen that often. I strongly recommend playing it. Although you might get mad and nerd rage if you try to breeze through it on veteran because it's freaking HARD. Treyarch knows how to make a campaign difficult.

Graphics/sound 5/10- While the graphics were good they really aren't anything gamers haven't seen already. The sound though I enjoyed because of the voice actors. Not going to throw out any names but there are some actors who I actually like that voice act in Black Ops, which I found quite nice. I've seen some people complain about the graphics not being as good as they were in Modern Warfare 2 or that they are too "cartoony". This is false. They are the exact same as in the previous game and you won't really notice much of a difference.

Replayability- With any high population first person shooter game, replayability is high. Find nearly any online shooter and there will be a high population of players. From Counterstrike to Halo to Call of Duty. Multiplayer usually doesn't get old, especially if you have friends to play with.

Final thoughts: Black Ops overall, to me, is what Modern Warfare 2 should have been. I would have liked to see some type of new gameplay elements into multiplayer. I mean you get to control a tank in the campaign, why not put into multiplayer? Some would say that would cause problems with people over using them but go play Battlefield Bad Company 2 and tell me you don't have fun.(Much more balanced game by the way). Basically this is the same old boring gameplay we've seen in the last game. I for one will be renting the next Call of Duty game before buying to see if it too is the same as the previous titles. But until then I'm going back to play some Halo: Reach.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 12/15/10

Game Release: Call of Duty: Black Ops (Hardened Edition) (US, 11/09/10)