Review by Zayres

"Treyarch, you diserve a bronze medal in gaming"

The graphics are ok. I wish they would stop using the same terrain. Mix it up every once in awhile! Jeez, I spectated once on all the maps, and if you look closely, you can see certain buildings are reused, just modified a bit. The graphics are as good as eggs at a gas station diner, they aren't great but you get what you pay for, minus the severe vomiting and other unwanted effects.

Audio: 4/10

Omg, if there is another Call of Duty, and it has the SAME DANG AUDIO throughout the whole game like this one did, I will never buy a COD game again. Im definitely not a die hard call of duty fan, but this audio wasn't a good first impression for me. "Tossing a frag!" "Im setting a claymore!" "Nice shot!" are all quotes that you will get used to very quickly. No one likes repetition, and this game's audio was all but unique. Lets hope they can do better next time.

Multiplayer: 10/10

Black Ops made up for the crappy audio with the multiplayer. With over 20 different game modes, you are sure to be excited again and again. I personally like TDM and Gun Game, but everything else is still awesome. Again, im not a die hard fan of the series, but even I was a little impressed with the multiplayer. Playing with over a half million people worldwide is cool yet satisfying. When it comes to multiplayer, Call of Duty rocks!

Campaign: 7/10

This was a little iffy for me. I liked the overall story, but some of the minor details could have been tweaked. For the sake of people who haven't played the game, I will leave out the spoiler, but the Reznov thing totally caught me off guard. That was a shocker even I didn't expect, and anyone who knows me knows that I can almost always pick out the endings and "suprising" parts of movies and video games, but I couldn't with this game. I wish it was a little longer though. It took me a little under 4 hours to beat the game, which everyone knows is a BAD thing. I wish there was some sort of character customization with the campaign mode. For example, you could customize your lethal and tactical grenades, primary and secondary guns, and equipment. This way, we feel more free with our character, and not just following the storyline like mindless zombies.

The gameplay was great, with just a few minor flaws. In multiplayer, I wished you could have a little more variety of guns. They are good, but I could definitely a bigger variety. I loved the tomahawk and ballistic knife as extra things to use. The tomahawk has saved my life dozens of time in multiplayer and the ballistic knife is just fun to use. Campaign could be longer and way more interactive. For example, before every mission, you could go to So-and-so for briefing, Jack for guns, Billy Bob for equipment, and Philson for teammates in the game, who each have certain attributes. This adds a little bit more interactiveness and reality into the game, which is what I always love. I thought the being able to get out of the chair and check out the computer in the back corner was really cool. I haven't been able to find a game that has a little easter egg type thing like that before.

The game was pretty good overall. Black Ops convinced me to actually try some of the other games in the future series. I just hope they can do better in the long run with the graphics and audio, and making the campaign mode just a bit longer and more intuitive. In the long run, as long as Treyarch keeps improving on his games, the Call of Duty series is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the gaming world.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/29/11

Game Release: Call of Duty: Black Ops (US, 11/09/10)