Review by Sailor Goon

"Does not play well with others"

GRAPHICS 9/10
The game looks phenomenal. It's easily one of the best looking games on the console. However, sites claim that its the best looking console game ever. I would agree, if the graphics weren't plagued by glitches. Enemies fall through floors and get stuck in cement. I've seen pairs of nano arms just floating in the air. Levels glitch during multiplayer (particularly during deaths). With just a bit of tweaking, it could really have earned the title of best looking game.

SOUND 6/10
It does a decent job with the ambient music (particularly the title theme), but again there are too many sound glitches. There are points during the multiplayer menus where the sound suddenly glitches to about three times the volume. Sound is skewed online as directional sound does not come from its proper origin. This is particularly evident during kill cams.

GAMEPLAY 6/10
The single player campaign has been somewhat fun to play but the complete lack of a story kills the game. How long has the invasion been going on? Why are the aliens here? Lots of questions are not answered, or even addressed. The story is also tedious as its simply listening to someone belt out directions and you follow them. No clear reason why this person is talking to you, or why you're following their commands in the first place. The game also gives you spots where it tries to pretend like you have alternate routes to take. This boils down to either using full force to go left, or cloak and go right. Boring.

ONLINE 0/10
The online of Crysis 2 is broken. There's no other way to say it. I've played over 50 matches and in not one of them has a single person been over 2 bars, not counting the host. If you're not the host, you may as well back out and quit. There is a horrid amount of lag in the game. Enemies transport around the map, you get killed by invisible enemies only to see your killcam show them standing right in front of you. I particularly love unloading 2 clips (and seeing them register) into someone, only for them not to react at all, then suddenly turn around, fire off 2 shots and be killed. Even better when the kill cam shows the shots either not even firing from you or going off to the sides of the enemy. If they patch the online, it might be a decent experience. But that's doubtful and as such I'm going to review the game in its current state. However, right now the online is unplayable. The netcode is awful and should not have gone to release stage.

In summary, this game had a lot of potential to be a great game. But its so blatantly obvious that it was rushed out the door with all its boring gameplay, graphical and sound glitches, and a completely broken multiplayer that I'd have to heavily suggest that people steer clear from this one....at least until they (hopefully) release a major patch.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 03/31/11

Game Release: Crysis 2 (US, 03/22/11)