Review by KeredsBlaze

"Save New York City"

Crysis 2

Gameplay--9/10
The gameplay of Crysis 2 is of course a FPS, but you have so many options to go about completing your objective. There is a bit of a learning curve to the system and to becoming comfortable using all of the tools that you are equipped with, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes a lot of fun. Some powers include the cloak (invisibility), an armor power up that strengthens your armor for a period of time, nanovision (think Predator) which basically gives you an infared heat vision to spot out your enemies. You can also you your binoculars which allow you to zoom in and set tactical approaches to different areas in your environment. Their is a power slide ability somewhat similar to that in Vanquish, and a power jump that allows you to scale tall structures. The game takes place in New York, and the beginning can start off a bit slow, but a few hours into the game, you will become comfortable with your powers and the action begins to pick up, which ends up being a lot of fun.

Visuals--9/10
Well this game boasts about the graphics quite a bit with the use of the Crytek engine, and it backs it up. The city and landscapes look great, as do the soldiers around you. It has impressive graphics, but to say that they are the best on console is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Length--10/10
This game has one of the longer campaigns of any shooter that I've played. On more difficult settings, the story will take you about 20 hours to complete. Crysis 2 also has a multiplayer function that is pretty fun, and is comparable to ones like Halo or Call of Duty. With the long campaign and an option to go back and do individual missions, as well as multiplayer, this game has plenty of replayability.

Story--6.5/10
Crysis 2 has a long campaign, but the story isn't all that interesting in my opinion. Half of the time is spent fighting other human soldiers who are out to get you because of the powers of the nanosuit, and the rest of the time you are fighting the alien race known as the Ceph, who is threatening all of humanity. Maybe, its just me, but I think that the humans would be smart enough to team up and fight the aliens that were destroying them. The story has a few minor high points to it, but it doesn't ever really draw you in, so it is a good thing that the action does.

Characters--6.5/10
The characters in this game don't have a ton of personality to them, and the voice work isn't all that great either. This is another game where the protagonist (Alcatraz) never talks, and you can never hear his opinion on things. The ceph don't have voices so you can't really understand their motives or thoughts. The characters you do talk to all have different goals concerning you and your suit, and they try to take you on different missions.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Pros
--fun and addictive gameplay
--pretty environment and landscapes
--a long campaign and fun multiplayer
----------------------------------------------------
Cons
--the game has a slow start
--the story and characters aren't all that great

Overall, Crysis 2 is a fun game is you love FPS and you are looking for a game with great gameplay and the opportunity to approach enemies with a lot of different option. You can go in guns blazing, or you can be stealthy and quiet. I would give the game an 8/10 and it fits in at #24 on my all time list.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 06/27/11

Game Release: Crysis 2 (US, 03/22/11)