Review by condemnedj

"A review from a fool who brought into the hype"

I had high hopes for this game. I was told it was like metroid and castlevania. It resembles those games but it is nothing like them. Those were good games. This is not.

Graphics: Excellent for an Arcade game. It uses Unreal 3 so it's got to be good. This is one of the best looking Arcade games available. But who really plays arcade games for the graphics anyway?

Sound: Very good as well. Nice voice acting throughout. The dialogue is kind of lame but so what. It's an Arcade game! Music is fitting. Sound effects are also good. But who really plays arcade games for the sound anyway?

Gameplay: We play Arcade games for the gameplay! And the gameplay sucks. All you do is jump around and shoot. What made super metroid and castlevania great was the exploration. This game has a fairly large world, but the exploration aspect is extremely simplified and dumbed down. By this I mean everything is so easy to find and when you do find something, it's not that worthwhile. I remember downloading SOTN for 360. Even though I have beaten the game so many times on PS1, it was still fun to play again even with no major improvements whatsoever. Then why am I not having fun with Shadow Complex? Simple, the game is just not on the level of SOTN. It is not half as good. It is not even a quarter as good. This game is not even as good as Bionic Commando Rearmed. At least BCR had nostalgic value.

Replay: I can't even seem to get myself to finish it once on easy mode, let alone replaying it. The only thing its got going is the story, which is kind of interesting. Don't want to spoil it for you if you decide to buy this but it's basically a spy thriller of sorts. There is also a challenge mode where you get to do a bunch of trials. You are equipped with the gear required for the task and you try to complete the task as fast as possible. This mode is actually better than the main game. I guess you can say that this mode adds a bit of replay.

In sum, I would have felt better if this game was 800 points. At 1200 points it's definitely a steal: them stealing from you. I am giving this a 5 because it's "playable - nothing special about it."

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 09/21/09

Game Release: Shadow Complex (US, 08/19/09)