Question from Asleetx

How do I beat the Tank with a melee weapon?

What's the best way to beat the Tank with a melee weapon and what melee weapon should I use?

From: Skipwithr 5 years ago

Let me preface my response by saying that I haven't been awarded this achievement yet.

With that out of the way, the obvious answer would be to have everyone in your party take a shot of adrenaline, run in close, and start circle strafing while slashing. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have someone act as a sacrificial goat, letting the tank pound them a time or two to keep him distracted.

Obviously, your success using this strategy depends on either the ability of the human player controlling the tank, (if this achievement remains active in Versus mode...) or the AI Director's willingness to finish off the one teammate before turning to face the remaining attackers.

To your other point, the choice of weapon shouldn't make much difference. The damage is identical, and the only appreciable difference is the amount of gore they leave on-screen. I would advise against the chainsaw, unless perhaps everyone in the party managed to find one (good luck). The small amount of fuel would just leave you without a melee weapon.

So, final verdict: Shoot up, then get out there and start swingin'.

It is actually easier than you think. You just need to have everyone on your team beat him with the melee weapon. You would think you would need a boost but four of us beating on him was enough. No one can even shoot him once.

Just play a campaign on Easy with all Human players (no BOTS). When a tank comes, have everyone use a melee weapon. Most likely, someone will get incapped. When this happens, make sure they don't use their pistol while they are on the ground. The tank will go down quicker than you think.

Left 4 Dead 2 Achievement Guides! - www.Left4DeadSafeRoom.com

None of my friends have the game yet so all the achievements I've had to do by myself rooving quite tuff. I got this achievement on Hard Rain. I ran way ahead of the bots and halfway through the level the tank spawned, I ran like hell to the safe room and shut the door. The tank stood there beating on the door and I used a fire axe I believe and killed him with it. It takes quite a few hits. An easy way also I would imagine is to do the same thing and switch to expert and kill the bots, switch back and kite a tank to a saferoom door.

The important thing to remember, is that all members in the party get the achievement for doing this. So, if someone other than you lands the killing blow while you're dicing the Tank, you'll all get the achievement.

If your going for the Tank Burger achievement the best way to get it is by having 3 other people help you get it. Try to get 3 people who also need the achievement and start a campaign finale on easy and make sure everyone gets a melee weapon. Once the tank spawns have the person how has the tanks attention run away while the rest start slashing and bashing him. If the tanks changes targets then have the new target run away while the other 3 continue attacking. This doesn't take long just be sure that no one shoots him.
Everyone get's the achievement if the Tank dies by melee weapons even if someone did no damage to the tank.
*WARNING* Any bots near the tank wil shoot him and ruin your achievement.
(If someone gets incapped make sure they don't shoot the tank)
*Note*I you are trying to get this achievement on single player mode then follow Landonus' advice and kill off the bots and have the tank follow you back to the saferoom you started at. Make sure the tank doesn't break down the saferoom door by pressing yourself up against the door as he is about to punch it. I haven't tried this method and I am not sure if it will work.

If you wanna be REALLY cheap, you can get a friend or an extra controller and play Versus.
Kill your comp buddies, and run through the level until a Tank spawns.
Have your friend move the Tank over to you, but not attack.
Beat him to death with a stick.

Ding.

use the chainsaw and make sure its fighting your ally.While he is busy beating the crap out of another dude,keep sawing him from the back.It worked for me so i hope it works for you

The easiest way is to swarm the tank from the back, let one person attack from the front as bait, and beat it to death, everyone gets the achievement when you do it, and you can only do it if the tank only takes damage from melee weapons, so attempting it with the bots is useless.