Review by Mitligonian

"Oh good reinforcements... wait, that's it?"

After anticipating the release of this game for months I was all ready for "best shooter ever!!!!" material, but I was sorely disappointed.

This game certainly took a much better approach to graphics than its overly-colorful predecessor. I would give them a 10/10 if it weren't for the stupid motion blur, there is simply no need for it and it's possible that they may have employed this to cover for a subpar framerate. I also found objects in forge to present a number of texture glitches when merged together.

Many of the sound effects in this game were borrowed from previous games which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the music in this game is barely noticeable unless you actually try to listen to it. I also found that invincible super-soldiers panting like miniature poodles after running for 6 meters to sound a little more than ridiculous. The voice acting isn't bad, and I appreciate that they gave a good guy (girl in this case) a Russian accent instead of the bad guys, which was getting old very fast.

As far as entertainment goes this game does a fine job. With the ability to upload pictures, gameplay videos, and levels for the whole community there are endless hours of non murder-related fun available. Multiplayer balance is a bit of an issue here, with some maps being absolutely horrendous to play on in many game modes. Bungie also seems to be incapable of balancing the needler as it always ends up either completely useless or insanely irritating. I'm also very conflicted with the armor abilities system, while it may add plenty of new features some of the abilities just seem to be there for the sake of being there. The single player is also extremely short, which is considered normal now considering multiplayer seems to be the only thing developers care about.

I'll probably get burned at the stake for saying this but this game's story is flat out PATHETIC. There were so many plot holes that someone who didn't read the books (me) could never have known. The characters are all generic and faceless, with personalities so cliched that it makes you wonder if they didn't just play Pin the Tail On the Donkey: Story telling edition. We have the strong but sensitive big guy, the cold and distant but kind woman, the fearless leader, a heartless killing machine, some guy, and some other guy (you). I certainly wouldn't play the campaign for the story if I were you.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/24/10