Review by ParellelSpider

"A great send off for a great series"

Halo: Reach has been a bittersweet experience for me, I've loved the Halo series from the start, and when I heard that Reach was going to be Bungies last game I got worried, but Bungie sent this series out with a bang.

Marty O'donnell has outdone himself again. The music is absolutely brilliant, and the sound effects have been tweaked to add an extra layer of realism. A great example of this is grenades, you can hear them flying through the air (it almost sounds like a rocket from past halo games but not quite) and when they detonate they make your ears ring.

Absolutely brilliant... The scale of some of these levels is amazing, if you stop and look around almost any mountain range in the distant you see that they're actually being rendered and are actually there and not some piece of art in the background, in fact on one firefight level I was aiming for a dropship with the target painter and I missed and hit the mountains, and I actually seen explosions. On that note explosions look a lot better and so do the characters and guns.

Controls: 10/10
The controls will take a bit of getting used to but they actually feel more fine-tuned. For example, most of your "killing" buttons are all on top of the controller now.

Easily the best story out of all the Halo games. (Without spoiling to much) After reading "The fall of Reach" I wondered how Bungie could make the book into a game where you feel like you actually accomplished something, but they did it and I felt like a hero at the end of the game.

Multiplayer: 10/10
This is where Halo has always shined and Reach is no exception to the rule. Forge has been updated to the point where anyone can use it to easily build a map, Firefight has matchmaking and greater customization and the ranking system has been changed for the better. Also there's a rewards system where you can earn credits and purchase upgrades for your armor, but unlike Call of Duty these upgrades are purely for changing your appearance and don't make new players feel like they're being punished.

Replayability: 10/10
Another thing that Bungie has added are “Challenges”, there are four or five daily challenges and one weekly challenge. Beating them gives a nice credit bonus (used for purchasing gear). They've also added commendations for Campaign, Matchmaking and Firefight Matchmaking. You can upgrade your commendations by killing a lot of enemies with headshots for example, they're more like long term challenges and will also award you with a big credit bonus. Getting all of the armor is going to take a while, and you can earn credits in any way you see fit (You don't even have to play multiplayer, you can earn all of your credits in campaign if you so desire).

Do yourself a favour and pick this game up!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/29/10

Game Release: Halo: Reach (250GB Xbox 360 Limited Edition Bundle) (US, 09/14/10)