Review by NFC6921

"Great overall and really fun, but still has room for improvement"

Picked it up on launch day, and after about 2 months I've really seen most of what Reach has to offer.It's an amazing game but it isn't without its flaws.

Graphics- 9/10
Graphics are easily among the best I've seen from video games. They are crystal clear, when paused, that is. The frame rate is a little too low for the game, and the graphics on the weapon that you're holding tend to blur slightly. The frame for Reach was about 35 fps. It should have been about 50. Alas, the graphical prowess of the game could not reach (no pun intended) its full potential.

Gameplay- 8/10
Like mentioned above, the frame rate tends to slightly blur the graphics and can cause the game too seemingly lag, and that can cause some frustration. The control scheme will also cause frustration and confusion, as the controls are a mix of the Halo CE/ Halo 2 layout and the Halo 3 layout.

Soundtrack- 10/10
I loved that the music in the game is more modernized, but still has the classical roots from previous Halo games.

Storyline- 7/10
I would have liked to see larger battles in the storyline, as you never fight with all 5 other Noble Team members at one time. Most of the missions actually seem like covert ops missions as well, as you are normally with only one other Noble Member going behind enemy lines and taking them out. I also figured that the settings could have been a little darker and sadder, as the game takes place just days before Reach fell.

Firefight 2.0- 4/10
The new firefight feels almost exactly the same, as you just fight off infinite waves of enemies until you die. The firefight matchmaking system is even worse, considering that you have unlimited lives and just play until you beat the round. It would be better if there were a firefight classic option in the voting round before a game starts. There is still no point to playing it, it seems it was just another playlist thrown into matchmaking.

Forge 2.0- 7/10
Forge is much more detailed than in Halo 3, and the options for items to put on the much are much greater. The rotation snap can be changed or turned off, which is great, and you can pinpoint the exact place where you want an object to be. There are only 2 downsides to forge: 1. When the rotation snap is off, the object controls are unresponsive, and 2. While you are in monitor mode, you move very slowly. Unfortunately, those two problems are big, and that drags forge down.

Multiplayer- 7/10
I loved the amount of customization that you can put on your character. You can customize everything from the helmet right down to the knee guards. The strange thing is, you can only choose the elite armor type you want to use, you can't customize the armor. Matchmaking also has some improvement, considering there is a voting round for what game type and map that you want to play on. The problem is, the weapon sets on every map are very unbalanced, and all of the maps are based off campaign settings.

Other Notes:
Bungie announced that they had accomplished a bug- free release, but they could not have been more wrong. There are glitches all over the place. Forge has too many glitches to count alone, as there are glitches you can come across by simply going into monitor mode. Campaign took a while to crack, but there were glitches found to get out of maps and the rare time-travel glitches were eventually found as well. Don't even get me started on multiplayer. Also, I feel cheated with the whole "exclusive" recon helmet. It turned out that only the attachment was unique, and that the base could be purchased. At least the flames and the elite officer armor are exclusive.

Like I said, Halo Reach is certainly a great game and maybe even a game of the year contender, but it certainly isn't without its flaws and still has room for improvement.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/22/10

Game Release: Halo: Reach (Legendary Edition) (US, 09/14/10)