Review by KeredsBlaze

"Nostalgia Kombat"

Mortal Kombat

Gameplay--8/10
Mortal Kombat returns with the classic 2D style of fighting and it's great. It gives you the feel of playing the old arcade classics once again, including all of the great characters, and original stages to fight in. Fatalities, Babalities, Animalities, they are all here and better than ever. The new X-ray moves are great as well and just entertaining to watch. You have plenty of options to choose from when it comes to fighting including a story mode, the classic ladder tournament, a tag tournament, and some skill testing modes. The only real downfall is the spamming attacks that some characters like to hit you with. Namely Shao Kahn. You can formulate strategies to get around this, but it can be frustrating at times for the average player to deal with him. Also the online matches aren't all that amazing, since everyone you fight just wants to try and use the same move on you repeatedly which gets old real quick. Some matches show a bit a lag, but not too bad.

Visuals--8/10
The visuals look good, about what you would expect from a next gen console. They aren't lacking, but they aren't all that surprising either.

Length--10/10
This game has to get a 10 in this department simply because all of the things that you can do. It will keep you busy for a looong time. Not only are there the modes that I already mentioned, but you have the Krypt, which allows you to unlock new goodies for the characters including different outfits, artwork, etc. and there is the Neckropolis which shows you all of the things that you have collected in more detail and allows you to read character bios and things of that nature.

Story--8/10
The story of this game is basically a recap of the first three MK titles. It may be the same story that we have already heard before, but it is told so well, and in such a refreshing fashion, that you don't really care, and you really get into it. The story also forces you to fight with several different characters, so it tests you and enables you to get comfortable with the fighting styles of many characters, not just your favorite.

Characters--8/10
The characters are the ones that we all know and love already, but the game reminds you of their purposes to the story, and does a good job of explaining their backgrounds and histories.

Music/Sound--9/10
Classic MK music tracks and the brutal sounds return. It's great
----------------------------------------------
Pros
--Fun, classic gameplay with new innovative features
--Plenty of options to last you a long time
--Good storytelling and good use of nostalgia
--Great music and brutal sounds
-----------------------------------------------------
Cons
--Online mode can be frustrating at times

Overall this is a great game and I would give it an 8.5/10, and I'm not really even a fan of the fighting genre, but this is just a fun game to play. This game sits at about #14 on my all time faves

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/27/11

Game Release: Mortal Kombat (US, 04/19/11)