Review by vartic

"War for Cybertron"

With a string of generic shooters, both first and third person being released, I know I'm not alone when I say that this style of game was starting to bore me. I bought this game as a Transformers game, not as a shooter, but I must say that my faith in this genre has been restored. I was thoroughly impressed with not only the effort that High Moon Studios have put into this game, but also the extents to which they have gone to please the fans of Transformers. With that said, let me provide you with a bit more detail. I have decided to leave the gameplay to last as it is the most important part of a shooter.

Story: Transformers has never exactly been Pulitzer material, I mean lets face it, It's Robots killing other Robots. That being said, the story here is actually quite detailed. The campaign has been divided into two segments, Autobots and Decepticons, with the latter being first chronologically. This means that the player can gain an insight into how things occurred on both sides of the war. The game is set on Cybertron, and details the reasons as to why Cybertron is the way it is. This original storyline is now actually considered canon, and Hasbro are taking it quite seriously. All in all though, whether you prefer Autobots or Decepticons, there is enough material on both sides to keep the player interested. The voice acting, in particular Megatron is excellent and the dialogue can range from being quite deep to being hilarious. As you play, the characters often throw in small comments that will often have the player unable to play because they are laughing too much. 8/10

Graphics/Sound: The graphics of this game are brilliant. So much detail has gone into the world and the designs of the Transformers that even if this game didn't have a good story or gameplay, it could still be viewed as visually spectacular. From massive open areas where huge battles occur to darker tunnels and passageways, the game not only looks good but runs without lagging or freezing up. Initial loading times can be quite long but in game loading times are very short, so the player does not feel lag between transitions. The games music is fantastic and creates a good atmosphere and the sounds of the Transformers sound like they are supposed too and not like they did in the Michael Bay films. 9/10

Gameplay: Here we are, the most important part of a shooter. The game borrows a lot of ideas from Gears of War, Halo and Call of Duty, and brings them all together to make an absolutely fantastic game. The gameplay mechanics are almost flawless and the control scheme is comfortable and simple. The game itself will see you doing a lot of generic shooter things like defend a spot from waves of enemies, but there are levels that break this up, like requiring you to transform and race to avoid a bosses attacks or to even solve puzzles. There are a few minor annoyances, such as AI controlled team mates getting in your way, but these really don't take away from the experience at all. Multiplayer features your regular multiplayer modes, death match, capture the flag, wave defense etc... and while it doesn't really bring anything new on that front, these modes are quite fun still, and work well in this class based multiplayer system. On that note, classes are evenly balanced making for a fair online community. Co-op campaign is where its at though. Going online will allow you to team up with up to two other people to play the campaign together, and this can be quite helpful for two reasons. One, a human player is always going to be more skilled than the AI, and playing with others allows you access to the revive function, so if you're killed, you have a certain time in which you can be revived. My only real complaint with this game is the lack of local multiplayer, both LAN and splitscreen. this does take away from the multiplayer for those with poor internet connections but the single player campaign is still worth the money. 9/10

Playtime/Replayability: The single player campaign will take about ten hours on normal, and a bit longer on hard. there are many hundreds of hours of multiplayer time here too, if you really want to get into it. Achievements range from easy to hard but all of them are fun to achieve and thus, players who like to go for full gamer score will get many more hours out of the campaign. As for replayability, even after getting all achievements I can still see people, inluding myself playing the campaign again. On top of that, the multiplayer will keep you coming back for more. 9/10

My final thoughts on this game are as such. Buy it, rent it , do anything you can to play it. The game is definitely worth the money, especially if you have a good internet connection.

9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/29/10

Game Release: Transformers: War for Cybertron (AU, 06/23/10)