Review by DiffEQ

"A great game marred by some serious technical flaws"

When I first played demo of this game, I was really excited. If you asked me back then, I would have given the game at least a 9/10. After having the full game for two weeks, I am kind of disappointed with it.

First, let me say that single player campaign is fun and any Transformers fan will enjoy it. There are Autobot and Decepticon campaigns to play through. The dialogue, particularly in the Decepticon campaign, is really fun to listen to. The final bosses are probably the best in any first or third person shooter in recent years. It should take 12-15 hours to complete, and there are definitely some parts that you'll want to play through multiple times.

Unfortunately, the multiplayer doesn't fare so well. The overall design and ideas behind the multiplayer are great. You get to choose from four classes. The soldier and leader classes are frontline warrior types (though they play quite differently from each other). The scout class is more of a sniper/assassin and the scientist class functions as a healer (and an assassin too, if you're good enough).Each class really does bring something unique to the table and requires a different play style; none of them feel overpowered.

The weapons are great too; almost all of them are not just useful, but fun to use. The play modes available are what you would expect in a shooter. There's team deathmatch, deathmatch, defending nodes (bases) and a few others. The level design is solid for the most part, though, aesthetically speaking, it is a bit repetitive.

What drags the multiplayer down is the lag and bugs. Way too often the game will become unplayable due to the lag. It's also really frustrating to get kicked out in the middle of the match because of the horrible lag or because the host quit. There are also the occasional game freezes which can only be fixed by powering off your Xbox. I realize some occasional lag is to be expected when you play online, but it actually ruins the fun for me in this game.

The online community is also very small, and with Halo: Reach and COD:Black Ops coming up I imagine it will only continue to diminish.

It really is a shame. It's obvious the developers really cared about Transformers and wanted to make a great game, but they needed to put more time into the multiplayer which is the biggest draw for most gamers. As it stands, I imagine this one will be quickly forgotten.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/21/10

Game Release: Transformers: War for Cybertron (US, 06/22/10)