Review by rombus_legend

"Released on a Monday, Game of the Year on a Tuesday...."

For those of you who didn't get the tagline….I won't spoil anything.

Story: Batman: Arkham City follows off a year after the original and all hell has gone into Gotham. A whole lot of Batman's arch nemesis' and crooks have been rounded up to this new super prison, ran by Hugo Strange. As Batman seeks to uncover Strange's master plan he pits himself against a whole manner of juicy goods from the Batman universe. Expect the usuals, Penguin, Joker, Two Face, etc. But where this game gets even better is the range of lesser known villains who are awesome. And as a fanboy this was a dream come true. The story is a bit short, but the side missions and Riddler challenges keep the game going and going. And if you are like me you will read, look and listen to every character bio, info tapes, concept arts…etc.

Gameplay: What the original game brought was an amazing free flowing style of combat, coupled with some beautiful stealth aspects. Batman: Arkham City fixes some little problems and adds a whole new level of goodness. There are more gadgets, greater variations in combat and the boss fights have been remarkably improved. In the original most of the bosses involved Batman throwing a Batarang at a charging behemoth and jumping out of the way. Also Killer Croc, Ivy, Harley Quinn and Zsasz were not the greatest fights. Batman: Arkham City fixes this by making the boss fights innovative, physical and satisfying. I mean, who doesn't want to smack that Penguin in the face.

Presentation: The game is amazingly beautiful. The map is large and there are barely any breaks in the frame rate, the first I encountered was when I had put about 25 hours into the game and there was a tiny loading bar and that was it. The graphics as well are beautiful, all the characters and setting make you feel so immersed in the Batman world. Most of the voice actors are back, and the dialogue is fine, if not a little clichéd. Expect multiple uses of things like ‘Joker‘s behind this!!'(no way…).

Overall if Batman: Arkham City does not get Game of the Year I will be surprised. It's not just for the Batman fans; anyone can enjoy this game, which makes it so good! As well as the main game, there is a lot of replayability with challenge maps, new game + and Rocksteady will be releasing new DLC regularly. The only bad thing the game has given us is now everyone just wants Rocksteady to continue the series to satisfy our cravings of being the bat.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/07/11

Game Release: Batman: Arkham City (Steelbook) (AU, 10/19/11)