Review by KeredsBlaze

"Brothers to the End"

Gears of War 3

I feel like the gameplay for this gears game is about the best it has been throughout the series. There are new weapons, and they feel more balanced as a whole. The cover system is still here as usual, but multiplayer modes feel improved as well, especially horde mode. Horde mode is a blast to play, and you are given money in a system that allows you to upgrade your defenses in between waves now. Other modes include 4 player co-op for the game (a ton of fun), and arcade scoring mode version of the campaign so you can score against your friends, beast mode which allows you to play as the locust against humans, and of course versus mode which includes deathmatch, and capture the leader variants. One minor problem still remains with the gameplay and that is the strength of the shotgun, but that is one of gears' signature weapons.

The story is pretty solid, and ties up things nicely, but it also leaves you asking yourself questions and feeling a bit empty. I thought that gears 2 had a much more powerful story, and gears 3 story seemed a bit rushed. You knew the goal early on in the game, and never wandered from that goal. It definitely wasn't bad, but it could have been a bit better.

Length: 8/10
With all of the modes in Gears of War 3, there is plenty to keep you busy and make sure you get your moneys worth, however I felt like the campaign could have been beefed up and longer. With 50 waves of horde, 12 waves of beast mode, and unlimited amounts of matches in versus mode however, you have plenty to keep you busy.

Visuals: 9/10
Definitely the best looking gears game to date. The environments are more open in this game, not a lot of the same greys and browns that inhabited the previous two titles. Also, the previous gears games consisted of a lot of smaller corridors or buildings, whereas Gears 3 takes advantage of the openness and allows you to explore a bit more, you are never stuck in one area for too long, and you will enjoy all of the different scenery, especially the underwater battle scene you will have to endure during the campaign.

Characters: 7/10
This was the weakest part of the game in my opinion. Two new characters are added to the cast as Sam and Jace, but they never really seem to serve much of a purpose except for assisting in battle. Another disappointment is that Carmine is given enough attention, and as someone who loves his character, that was a letdown. You don't learn much more about the original characters except for Marcus' dad, and he isn't a playable character.

Sound/Music: 8/10
Music is great and fits the setting well
----------------------------
Pros
--Great gameplay that fits the gears series perfectly
--Addictive online play with a ton of options including fun co-op
--One of the better looking games to date
----------------------------
Cons
--Story seemed to be missing something
--Campaign could have been longer
--Some characters weren't fleshed out enough and didn't seem useful to the story
---------------------------
Overall this game is still a blast, and if you're a gears fan, you will enjoy it, if not, then you won't. Multiplayer is the highlight of the game, especially the co-op campaign, but as an overall package, I think I may like Gears 2 just a bit better. **8.5/10** (number 23 all time on my list)

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/21/11

Game Release: Gears of War 3 (US, 09/20/11)