Review by Jinn_Remona

"Cheap vs Spam: Fate of Two Failures"

Cheap vs Spam: Fate of Two Failures

This is a more literal representation of the title known as Marvel vs Capcom 3: A Fate of Two Worlds. A game made by Capcom. This game is the sequel to the highly successful fighting arcade game, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and it has been around 10 years since the release of Marvel vs Capcom 2. Now with the release of Marvel vs Capcom 3, many complaints have sprung up within the first week, and a fair majority of them are horrible, and I mean, eating crap covered in puke. Now keep that image in your head while we move on, and I explain the problems in this game.

What story? We know characters from both the Marvel and Capcom worlds have come to together to fight. Any reason behind it? No. There is no sign of any type of story at all present when you boot up the game, other then that video of characters fighting it out, again for no reason. Unlike the beautiful animated skits shown in Super Street Fighter 4 when you began a characters arcade mode, and when you finished their storyline, this game got tossed into a blender. The best you have for an ending to a characters storyline in this game is a two to five sentence ending, making it just more confusing then it needed to be, as you have no idea why some of the characters would end of like that to begin with.

The graphics are fairly basic for a game released in this day and age, but I'm not going to gripe very hard on this. I'm not a big stickler for graphics, and for what is in the game, and comparing it to Marvel vs Capcom 2, the game looks extremely improved. There isn't anything that really stands out though that hasn't already been done before, by say another successful Capcom fighting game.

Music/Sound: 6/10
Alright. I personally enjoyed the music within this game. Each character has his own distinct set of sounds based around him. Grunts, groans, cheers and taunts are all noticeable, and a fair amount of the music stands out when playing, or wandering around in the menus. The most likely thing to stand out would be the characters quotes before and after a fight, along with mid-game taunts. Especially in regards to Deadpool. Listening to him as he fights, taunts and generally impresses everything around him, makes one continue to return to his character just to see what else he can say.

This is where stuff really hits the fan. Depending on your approach into this game, you could potentially end up with an amazing fighting experience. As long as you don't use Quick Match. Ever. For either Ranked or Player matches. The second you do, the game turns into a contest of who can spam faster then his opponent. Capcom has stated this game would be more balanced then it's predecessor, but after playing this, I'm not so sure, as the amount of balance problems is as much present now as it was in Marvel vs Capcom 2. Especially when things come to Sentinel, Dr. Doom and Magneto. These three ruin the entire experience.

Luckily, it can be redeemed, as long as one focused SOLELY on playing with those who actually fighting using some form of skill. Player Lobbies are around which can hold up to eight players at once, and if you invite in enough friends, it can be quite the experience. Now if Capcom would add in a Spectator Feature to that six people don't end up sitting around while two people do battle, that mode would be perfect. Maybe a Kick feature too, incase we run into a spammer.

Controls: 4/10
There's nothing really new about the controls in this game. Basic skills here, launch button here, ultra team special here. Then we add in the usual skills and combos that take time to learn, but that's part of the game. Up to jump, down to duck. The usual. Not much more I can say.

Replayability: 4/10
There is very small replayability in this game. It mostly comes down to unlockable things within the Gallery. Pictures, movies, sound effects, character models, etc. Nothing really special, but for a completionist, it's there.

Frustration Factor: 10/10
For me, someone who enjoys playing online against random people, I find this game above and beyond frustrating. Almost to the point of being on par with Halo's grenade spam. If you focus solely on offline features, the frustration is still high, if you can't find a way around the final bosses wide spread death.

Should you buy it? No. I wouldn't even consider it. Just erase the entire thought process from your mind. You would be wasting money that could be spent on something extremely better. For example, Hello Kitty: Island Adventure. Much better deal, in my opinion, then buying Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 02/22/11

Game Release: Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (US, 02/15/11)