Review by ClanCrusher

"5 Hours Later..."

I've never been a big fan of fighting games. They've always felt incomplete to me, like the fighting portion should have just been one element to the game in a grander scheme of things, like the combat system in an RPG being only one part of a more complex game. The major problem I've always had with fighting games and the like was that while their fighting engine was usually polished to a mirror shine, there was little more to the game than that fighting engine. However, this has been one of the most over-hyped games ever, so I thought I'd give it a try and see if there was any sort of thing that could convert me to this style of play. After all, it included Dante and Amaterasu and they've both been in games that I've liked.

After five hours though, I'd had enough. So let's break it down.

Art/Graphics: 9/10

If there's one thing I can compliment this game on, it's its fantastic art design. The openings are amazing, the characters presented all have their unique styles, and the visuals received from executing hyper combos and super moves is pure eye candy. Almost too much at times considering how many characters could throw around brightly colored energy beams and lasers and the rather annoying comic book flip whenever you had to use a continue in Arcade mode. Even so, it's minor grievances at best.

Okay I guess. The only character themes that really stuck out were Captain America and Amaterasu though. Even so, the rapid pace of switching, assisting, and K.O.-ing pretty much ensures that you're never listening to the same track for more than fifteen seconds at a time. Some might see this as a good way of ensuring the music never gets old. To my ears, it sounds like a bit of a mess.

Phoned in. This is where Marvel vs. Capcom 3 REALLY drops the ball (as does almost every other fighting game out there). Three guys (or girls or any mix of the two) team up to destroy Galactis while beating up several other random teams along the way pretty much sums it up. They don't even go as far as to give an individual story for each character, meaning that your entire story is played through Arcade mode. Your ending is decided on which of your three party members lands the final blow on the final boss, making things a bit of a crapshoot as the final boss tends to unmercifully span 120 hit combos. Said ending is basically two pages of comic book art with a story-let usually only vaguely related to the actual game.

Content: 4/10

Woefully inadequate. For single player, you have an Arcade mode that you can play again and again and again if you REALLY want to see all of the concept art (which most people will look at once and then never again), the gallery mode (which most people will probably look at once to get rid of the flashing "NEW" signs), a training mode which allows you to beat up on computers with no life or time limitations (cause, you know, that's NEVER been done before in a fighting game), a mission mode that puts you through all the character's moves (without showing you any sort of example or walkthrough beforehand), and a grand total of FOUR unlockable characters. As for the character selection itself, once the novelty of using people like Dante, Chris, and Wesker wear off, you'll find the character selection rather poor for 3 vs 3 combat. Oh, and you can't change that setting either. It's ALWAYS 3 vs 3.

Fighting Engine: 7/10

Passable, if slightly broken. Assists tend to be real annoying when done with certain characters (Sentinel, I'm looking at you). I've always hated holding the 'back' button to block attacks, and the camera always follows whoever is jumping up into the air, meaning it's incredibly easy to sneak in an assist attack while pulling away the camera from a human player. Galactis in particular really gets on my nerves as when he sends his two minions at you, one CPU will inevitably pull the camera away from you by jumping into the air while the other wails on you off screen. Other than that, it seems fairly passable. The combat is fast paced and varied enough to keep from getting old, the super attacks are flashy and easily executable, and it was relatively simple for newcommers to pick up, with the usual layers of complexity for the die-hard fans. Button mashing will always secure a victory in every one out of four combats though, and endlessly spamming ranged attacks still works just as well as it used to.

Re-Playability: 1/10

Arcade mode is pretty much it. The only people who are going to go through the trouble of completing Aracde mode for every character are completionists and achievement hunters. Five hours of grinding through Arcade mode was about all I could stomach myself.

Final Verdict: 6/10

Rent, don't buy. For how little content is in this game, a full retail price is NOT worth it. It's a 'for fans only' game. Anyone who isn't already a fan of fighting games is not going to find anything that will convert them. At the very least, wait for a price cut.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 02/22/11

Game Release: Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (US, 02/15/11)