Review by Dude Love Fan

"Nothing to sneeze at!"

Introduction:
So, it has been several years since I have written a review for good old GameFAQs, my account on the message boards just passed 10 years old this last April, hard to believe I have been here so long. Harder still to believe the changes in my life and how games have slid down just a bit in the scheme of things. I traded in a few games a few weeks ago and picked up Divinity 2: DKS, and have been playing it for a few weeks now, and have to say I am impressed. It is a solid Action RPG, with a little bit of an MMO flavor to it, with enough freedom to make it an overall enjoyable experience.

The game plays like a mix of Fable, Oblivion, and a smidgeon of WoW. First and foremost the game is an action RPG, with a level progession similar to WoW's talent trees. The interesting thing though is you can mix different classes together. A warrior who summons pets with a smidge of Mage talents? No Problem! In fact, that was my build. But you could be a ranger who mages it up with some warrior for whatever gets close, your choice. Interactions between characters are your normal dialog choice setup, with moral sounding choices, but no moral tracking system like Fallout. So if you occasionally just want to be rude or a smart alec, you can be with little reprecussions.

There is a main quest which takes a while to beat, honestly since the game didn't track my played time, I didn't either. There are also a swath of side quests to do which really do spice things up, and seem to play off of each other sometimes. Since this game contains both the original Ego Draconis and the expansion it runs right through the original ending on to the new content seamlessly. And you will see many familiar faces in the expansion which takes a solid amount of time on it's own to beat.

The combat in the game is a little clunky, I find myself hopping about quite a bit to dodge stuff up until I can heal myself, shoot back into combat, hit, run, rinse lather and repeat. Also you can save any time, as much as you want. I made use of this in hard battles, picking off one person at a time, saving all the while. While this may make it too easy to beat some of the harder encounters, even with this tactic it was still a challenge.

Graphics/Sound: 8/10
Overall the graphics are solid, with all kinds of trees, and grass and the like. Buildings and Character models are solid, but nothing amazing. Spell effect have a nice pop to them and compliment the rest of the graphics. The voice acting is a bit bland, but still nothing to be ashamed of. If you come in looking for MGS you will be disappointed, but it isn't Sonic Adventutre bad either (OH NO! OUR WEAPONS ARE USELESS). Simply put, there isn't anything to write home about but nothing all the bad either.

Overall I highly enjoyed the game, and really think if you have the money and can get it for abotu 25 or less it would be definitely worth a go. It kept me interested from beginning to end, and if nothing else, you get to be a dragon. While it isn't something that will blow you away, it still has that above average taste you may just have been looking for...

And as always...

OOOWWWW Have Mercy!!!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/25/11

Game Release: Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga (US, 04/12/11)